Thread: drill chuck key

Question drill chuck key

I need a chuck key for my drill press. It says on the chuck that it is a JT-3# CAPO-5/8" 16m/m, but no one seems to carry anything bigger than 1/2" keys, where can I get one? It's a Cummins drill press. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Last edited by Jack Wood; 07-09-2005 at 7:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood
    I need a chuck key for my drill press. It says on the chuck that it is a JT-3# CAPO-5/8" 16m/m, but no one seems to carry anything bigger than 1/2" keys, where can I get one? It's a Cummins drill press. Thanks for any help you can give.
    I'm guessing the JT-3# is a morse taper #3 and it's a 5/8" chuck. I did a search and tools-plus has them. ( http://www.tools-plus.com/mla48-66-3120.html ) Also read this on Jacob's chucks they talk about the JT taper. ( http://www.beautifuliron.com/jacobs.htm ) Hope this helps. Maybe a machinist that uses this board will add to this. I don't think your chuck is anything special it's just heavy duty.

Pete

Good sources for machinist-type stuff are Enco (www.use-enco.com) and MSC (www.mscdirect.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl
    I'm guessing the JT-3# is a morse taper #3 and it's a 5/8" chuck. Pete
    Peter, IIRC, JT stands for Jacobson taper, while an MT is Morse taper. My 20" Grizzly DP has a JT chuck with an MT-4 in the spindle.

I would try MSC or McMaster & Carr for a chuck key.
    Best Regards, Ken

chuck key

Thanks! There is one machine supply store in town and I am going to try there on Monday. If they don't have it then I'll use your links.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Peter, IIRC, JT stands for Jacobson taper, while an MT is Morse taper. My 20" Grizzly DP has a JT chuck with an MT-4 in the spindle.

I would try MSC or McMaster & Carr for a chuck key.
    Thanks Ken, I knew there was a machinist type in the house. I guess that a 5/8 chuck key will fit most 5/8 chucks? The article I linked to says that the JT(#3 in Jack's case) is the type of connection from the chuck to the spindle. Does this sound right?
    Last edited by Peter Stahl; 07-09-2005 at 4:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Peter, IIRC, JT stands for Jacobson taper.....
    Jacobs Taper.

got it!

Went to the local machine tool supply store and they had the key I needed. The only thing was that I got the feelin that really didn't want my business The key cost 5 bucks and in this day and age you would think that a company would want all of the hard cash that someone wanted to spend with them, BUT they have a policy of NO Checks(understand that one) NO credit cards(well they are a pain for a bus.) but the last was the $25 MINIMUM CASH PURCHASE! The woman behind the counter said that she would make an exception this time but that I needed to buy at least $25 worth of stuff next time! Now I don't own my own bus. but if I did and someone walked in with say 15 or 20 bucks and wanted to buy a widget I'd sell it to them in a heartbeat and ask them to come back! Seems that the work involved in a 5 dollar purchase is the same as a 100 dollar purchase, but then if I was so smart I'd be rich Odd way to run a business!
    Last edited by Jack Wood; 07-13-2005 at 9:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood
    Went to the local machine tool supply store and they had the key I needed. The only thing was that I got the feelin that really didn't want my business The key cost 5 bucks and in this day and age you would think that a company would want all of the hard cash that someone wanted to spend with them, BUT they have a policy of NO Checks(understand that one) NO credit cards(well they are a pain for a bus.) but the last was the $25 MINIMUM CASH PURCHASE! The woman behind the counter said that she would make an exception this time but that I needed to buy at least $25 worth of stuff next time! Now I don't own my own bus. but if I did and someone walked in with say 15 or 20 bucks and wanted to buy a widget I'd sell it to them in a heartbeat and ask them to come back! Seems that the work involved in a 5 dollar purchase is the same as a 100 dollar purchase, but then if I was so smart I'd be rich Odd way to run a business!
    Jack, I have always felt the same way you do, but nowadays, in some cases, depending on how the bookkeeping is handled, I can kinda understand why some businesses do have a minimum required on sales. Some businesses contract out their accounting at a flat rate of "x" $ per entry, and some larger companies who do their own accounting at a central location for all their stores sometimes bill the individual stores $6 or $7 (or maybe more) per ticket/entry, and this Really cuts deeply into an individual store's P & L statement if there are a lot of small $ sales, which causes problems for the local store manager when answering to Corporate mgmt, as well as affecting any bonus structure for the local store's mgr & employees. When these types of practises are used by a corporation, it makes it hard for a local store to justify selling $5 worth of merchandise when they know it is going to cost them $7 in accounting fees plus the cost of the merchandise + overhead. I don't know if this is true at the store you patronized, but I'd almost bet something similar is in place that makes them have that policy. At least the lady was nice enough to accomodate you on a one time basis, probably with the hope that you will be a future customer that may need larger orders at that time. I always felt that "accounting" should be a part of Overhead, but many Corporations, and some smaller businesses Expect "accounting" depts to be a Profit Center as well, (which in my opinion, is just pure Greed).
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 07-14-2005 at 12:28 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Having lost the chuck key to my Reliant DP several years ago, I was frustrated by not being able to find a replacement. This was because I did not know what information I needed. Searching for a vendor of a discontinued product was fruitless.

When I read the post describing the information on the chuck, I looked at mine and could see the same information embossed in the chuck. Using that information, I ordered a new chuck. Now I have a DP chuck after 5 years.

You never know when information will be helpful.
    Chris

Similar Experience

I occasionally need a small amount of steel or brass. I live near a large metal supply in San Diego. They are always polite and helpful, but often they look at the, say, 2 or 3 pound chunk of brass in my hand and say, "Just take it." I look mystified and say thanks and walk hestitantly out the door glancing back for some sign that they are joking. I'd certainly like to spend some money there. I hope I can purchase material for a larger project there sometime.

The idea that they have a fixed transaction accounting fee makes this unusual experience a little more understandable.

Chris I'm glad that my problem helped to solve your problem! That's why this message board is so good. Norman as a matter of fact she did say that this had come about from the main office in a town south of here. Didn't make any sense to me then but after your explanation I bet that this store operates the same way. I still say that that is a odd way to run a bus. What if walmart or krogers started doing that? I could order this key off the net for $6 and add $7 for shipping and still come out ahead. I looked around a bit while the lady was getting the key and the prices would make a $25 purchase easy with just a few items. But if I had to have it today then I might go ahead and bite the bullet and buy enough for them to sell to me. Thanks for everyones help in getting my drill press up and running! Oh and by the way this is a stealth gloat as the drill press was a 3/4hp 5/8ths chuck drill that I got for free!!!