Thread: Need help setting up this bit

Need help setting up this bit

I plan on setting up a Tongue & Grove bit today. The instructions shows the thickness of the shims, but does not advise on shimming for a tight or loose fit. I have never changed bearings on a bit, let alone shimmed one. If I want a 1/4" T, how many .001's should I shim for an easy fit with room for glue? I think the smallest shim is .006 and then up to .020.

Also, what is a good way to get the nut off? I'm thinking, put the bit in the router and take off the nut like I would loosen the collet.

It's a Freud bit

Thanks for any help
    Johnny

Blog Entries
    I put the bit in the router (usually in the table) tighten it down as if for use and then hold one of the collet nuts with the wrench and loosen the bearing screw with the appropriate allen wrench. As to fit, mill some scrap to the same thickness you plan to use and run a set of T&G. Adjust the fit from that and your keepers should come out the same. .006" is a fat piece of typing paper and I would think this would be adequate for the glue (about .003 on each cheek). When I get too obsessed on a "perfect" fit or "over acheive" on a tight fitting joint I hear the instructive words of Sam Maloof when instructing his crew; "leave room for the glue!".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Your fit depends on your application. If you're milling flooring, you will need a looser fit (to accommodate installation over an uneven subfloor) than if you're milling T&G panels for a cabinet back. And if you want to use this to mill-up wide boards, you'll want an even tighter fit than that.

As others offered it depends. If you have glue requirements leave a hair or it will bow it out. My motto is rough it in and fine tune. Make some test pieces thickness you will be working with and dial it in making minor adjustments.