Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction

David I am opening my package from LV as I type this which should contain my chisels,mallet, marking guage,honing guide, and a small vise I purchased as well.

Welcome. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale my last two years in college-1971-1973. I haven't been back since, but had a big time then.

I would recommend wall mounted shelves for your kids to use.

Start with clear pine, or poplar.
    Those are stable, work well with hand tools and take paint well.

http://accidentalwoodworker.blogspot...g-shelf-2.html
    http://www.constantines.com/dimensionallumber.aspx

The staff at Constantines will get you started.
    Tell them what you're doing, and your desire to build by hand.

You'll start out small, and grow into larger projects.

As mentioned above, each basic joint and project is incorporated in more ambitious furniture.

Jim that is my plan start small and learn. Unfortunately Constantines is a far cry from what they used to be they are very small now limited selection. Tom Ft Lauderdale used to be party central but its nothing like it used to be.

Welcome Vinnie! We're glad you could join us.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I actually need to put together an inexpensive bench maybe laminating 3/4 ply for the top. I have limited room and funds right now for a real quality bench so I must build it. I guess that is actually going to be my first project.

Thank you Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I would recommend wall mounted shelves for your kids to use.
    Shameless plug. If you're interested, Vinnie, I did a little bookshelf project for my daughter, the thread is here.

Regards,

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

wood tools.jpgThis is what I got today
    Attached Images Attached Images

Daniel that's awesome I have a 3 1/2 year old I may steal this idea thank you

I made my first workbench top last winter by laminating 4 sheets of Home Depot 3/4 inch plywood. I would not do it again because it ended up not being that flat (I did not have a good reference surface) and plywood is hard to flatten with planes. My bench is 80 inches, but only about 36 inches are truly flat, somewhat annoying, This winter I will laminate 2x4s for a new bench or maybe buy an IKEA butcher block.
    Hand tools are fun, I work on my porch and kids get to be around the tools without all the power tool issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Lopez View Post
    This is what I got today
    Vinnie, those are great to start with. It's a long story, but I bought those Narex to start with, then moved and never saw them for years! I wound up giving them away, but a quick test showed them to be quite nice and a very good value. I still use the same mallet, as well as the honing guide (on occasion). I've a different marking gauge, but really - they all do the same job, right? Great selection to get you going, and I wish you the best with it.

Regarding the shelf build, my daughter was 1-1/2 when I first built it, and it's been awesome since. I highly recommend it as an easy neander build, I loved doing it, learned a lot, and used a bunch of tools as I built it. And it's cheap to make! Of course, I hope others can do better than I did, a bunch of paint was required to hide some flaws, but I enjoyed every minute of working on it, and I bet I could do another in a fraction of the time now...

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lane View Post
    I did a little bookshelf project for my daughter, the thread is here.
    Zombie thread

Think I just scored an antique woodworking vise off craigslist going to pick it up in a bit