Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A decent homepage?

A decent homepage?

I am just looking for a homepage that gives news and weather; without entertainment, sports, gossip, horoscope, etc, etc.

I used MyYahoo for 5 years before they ruined it.
    Then MyGoogle for a few months before they discontinued it.
    Then MyMSN for a year before they canceled it.

I looked through half a dozen possibilities and they are all terrible.

Anything like MyMSN out there?

CNN? Their mobile site at least will display weather after you enter your zip, and it remembers it.

I tried it. It is mostly stuff I have no interest in, and there doesn't seem to be anyway to customize it.

I replaced MyGoogle with igHome. Not quite the same, but I've learned to work with it. I looked at several & igHome seemed to be the best replacement.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

+1 on IgHome. I had to replace MyGoogle when it went away. IgHome is not perfect but it does allow you to customize and select what you want to a large extent.

Jim

Thanks. It is way better than anything I have found.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I am just looking for a homepage that gives news and weather; without entertainment, sports, gossip, horoscope, etc, etc.

I used MyYahoo for 5 years before they ruined it.
    Then MyGoogle for a few months before they discontinued it.
    Then MyMSN for a year before they canceled it.

I looked through half a dozen possibilities and they are all terrible.

Anything like MyMSN out there?
    MyMSN got canceled? When did that happen? I visit that site every day. It still works for me.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    MyMSN got canceled? When did that happen? I visit that site every day. It still works for me.
    It terminates on 9/30. The replacement is crap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    It terminates on 9/30. The replacement is crap.
    wow! I think the customized news sites must be really losing popularity MyGoogle and now MyMSN. I agree, the so called replacement sites are just crap!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I just don't see the point of a homepage. I just bookmark pages in my browser and use the bookmarks toolbar. Then everything you really want is always there - no need to go back to a homepage.

I set The Weather Channel (weather.com) as my home page, set to my locale. I usually have some form of 24-hour news station on TV while I'm on my laptop, and I get local news in my Facebook news feed.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I just don't see the point of a homepage. I just bookmark pages in my browser and use the bookmarks toolbar. Then everything you really want is always there - no need to go back to a homepage.
    For me, I prefer to have one page I can quickly read the headlines I am interested in, along with seeing my stocks, my favorite sports teams, what movies and showtimes are playing at my local theaters. Etc... It doesn't necessarily need to be set as my home page, but I want a site I can go to, and not have to do a lot of clicking to see all the things I have an interest in. Much quicker and convenient than a whole bunch of bookmarks.
    But apparently more and more people prefer to do a lot more clicking than I.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-09-2014 at 3:31 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    +1. My homepage is a search bar. For everything else, it's a simple shortcut at the top of Firefox. When I save those shortcuts, I delete everything in properties so all I see is the "favicon". If the site provides no favicon, I'll make a note beside the shortcut.

Untitled-1.jpg
    -Lud

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    wow! I think the customized news sites must be really losing popularity
    Feedly on Google Chrome is great. I can organize all the news I want (+ WWing blogs, etc.) all on one page.

This is an interesting thread. For as long as I can remember, my browser home page is a blank page. I never liked waiting for the inevitable slow-loading home page, and 99.9% of the time, I'm going to go to a bookmarked location, anyway, so...blank page.

I'm thinking I'll check out some of the suggestions here to see if it's worth changing my practices, now that broadband speeds are fast enough for quick-loading pages.

That's twice today I've discovered I do something simply because of inertia.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.