Thread: My wife is too smart...

Blog Entries

My wife is too smart...

was just discussing why it not much risk to buy some pricy stuff. Me: some things are really valuable and will always be desired, like LN tools and fine Arkensas stones, they are like money in suspense (got that from you, David)

Her: oh... Just like gold *poker face with a smile*

Good thing she was kidding (she's very supportive) because I don't think I could take her!
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 09-09-2014 at 2:56 PM.

Of course she is: she's a wife. They all are.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    money in suspense (got that from you, David)
    My wife doesn't like that line! She'd like the money to be suspended elsewhere - like in things that she likes (which ultimately are money in dispense vs. suspense). It's never happy times at my house these days when I buy something else, given that I have pretty much everything I need and have for a while

Blog Entries
    I just get "the look."
    Attached Images Attached Images

I studied Dave Ramsey at one time (my wife hates him) and one of the smartest things we did is to budget money for both of us to spend as we wish. I have to pay for gas out of my allowance, the rest is mine to spend guilt free. The amount is slightly flexible over time, right now I have about $5 a week to spend on tools, but if I want to I can save that money and buy a Lie Nielsen #8 guilt free. Also, if I find something and sell it for more than I paid that money can be spent on tools too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I just get "the look."
    Uh Oh! That look doesnt look like fun Malcolm. Better buy her some flowers before you order a new tool next time.

Blog Entries
    if I find something and sell it for more than I paid that money can be spent on tools too.
    Sometimes when we are together looking at stuff I will whisper to her, "I think I can make some money on this one." That is like music to her ears.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Never EVER marry ANY woman who does not appreciate your work and encourage it. And,it is even better if she is a craftsman and artist ALSO,like mine is.(My sage advice to the as yet unmarried Chris Vesper at breakfast this morning). And,he'd BETTER believe it is SAGE.

Even with THOSE issues in hand,there is still plenty of other stuff to fight about. But,I will not have my work suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I just get "the look."
    I understand the mismatch, at last.
    How old is her eyeglass prescription?

Why are the luckiest men too dim to realize their good fortune?

You suck

I am fortunate in that my wife and I make nearly identical money. We also are very encouraging of each other though my stuff costs significantly more than hers; wood working tools, Astronomy stuff, and photography stuff (Photography stuff pays for itself).

Now that we both make enough to survive all the extra income generated is fun money. I shoot a wedding or product then I can spend that income however I want; camera gear, woodworking, etc. If she does some freelance editing then she can do whatever she wants with it.

There are times of contention when it comes to tools and I'm lacking "camera money", especially just after we bought I house. In the two year since she has seen the quality of my work and realized we are better off spending a few hundred on tools for me to do the work than the thousands it would cost to hire it out.

The $4000 I spent replacing a load bearing beam, insulating, new drywall, and electrical in the garage was insane to her until she learned it would have cost nearly $30,000 to hire that work out. Now, she does not roll her eyes nearly as often.