Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Wonder what LV is up to on 9/13?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    I already like the look of that 4-1/2, pretty sexy actually.
    That was the one I customized actually. The only change for me was a higher angle frog.
    I don't have any of the Veritas BD planes (all BU for me). I wonder if this is backwards compatible?
    Gary

I was right!!!

As in, "something that I would want...that I cannot afford."
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I actually went through the process of customizing a plane (you know...pretending I could actually buy one) and I was surprised to see that it was not offered (that I could see) where you could purchase more than one frog angle at a time. Did I miss something?
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    I was looking for the same option- extra frogs. I have a 4 1/2 built with 55 degree frog, but thinking before I pull the trigger. I really need the pullshave more at the moment. Very well done, however. This is a great option.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    I was right!!!

As in, "something that I would want...that I cannot afford."
    I here you, same here. have to hand it to LV those are really cool.

I'm curious to see how the design works in practice - ease and precision of on-the-fly adjustment, and how friendly toward being used with cap iron close to blade edge.

They have just released the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5c-jgOQAvY

customization for handplanes

Just bought #4 with large Stanley style tote and regular frog. Regular Stanley #4 always felt a bit awkward for me ( I am 6' 6'') will see how this one feels.
    They have other totes and frogs available in the plane accessories part of the webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Milisavljevic View Post
    I'm curious to see how the design works in practice - ease and precision of on-the-fly adjustment, and how friendly toward being used with cap iron close to blade edge.
    Exactly. How fiddly is it? It is a promotion of bevel down to pre-eminence, but has to compete with the LN line.

Kind of interesting. I don't have any of the high-end planes, but I can understand how this would appeal to those that do.

But here is the funny thing: I wonder how I'm suppose to pick the sizes of knobs and handles without having tried any. This would make going to one of the travelling woodworking shows beneficial because I suppose you'd be able to find those types and sizes that work best for your hands. Maybe next time I will do just that, and record that information should the day ever come that I want to purchase a high-end plane.

Customization is always a good thing when it comes to handplanes. Bevel up is popular due to it's blade configuration. This new release will provide the same benefits to bevel down.

As for the rest, need to wait and see the extra benefits.

I've had a prototype of the 4 in my shop for several months. I'm away from home this weekend and don't have time to post many details at the moment, but when I get back to Philly I'll try to address questions people may have.

FWIW, I have the large Stanley tote on my prototype. It's great... I'm trying to convince them to make similar tote choices available on there BU line... I want one on my LAJ too.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

That's a good idea!! I like that it's BD with a cap iron, and you can get a stanley profile handle.

Blog Entries
    The fence would be nice for a jointer when edge jointing.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...182,72240&ap=1