Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Wonder what LV is up to on 9/13?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Milisavljevic View Post
    Congrats on this development, I think it is the most interesting thing that happened in the world of hand planes in a few decades.

All internet babbling aside, few of us know the most important thing: how does it plane and what is usability and ergonomics?

First, I suggest adding a # 6 size since I'd like to buy one... second, I suggest changing your website marketing to better explain what you just wrote above, so potential buyers understand what are design improvements you attempted to make it a better plane, aside from the fact that we can order different handles, or bed angle - not to take anything away from that - but I think most are interested, if I get this plane, what exactly you believe better about the tool than a traditional plane of the same size.

I don't quite understand how "adjuster engages a repositionable blade carrier that is independent of chip breaker", but it sounds like it would be nice I only see chipbreaker, blade, frog, norris adjuster and lever cap. What is the carrier?

Also, since you started it, do tell more about using it upside down.

Finally, are samples available in retail stores for messing around with? I'll pass by Vancouver location on Thursday.
    Hi Marko -

A few answers....

Ergonomics and useabilty - as you would expect - we would say excellent....! The only observation I will offer, is that the weight distrubution is slightly more forward on these planes than our other bevel down designs, as the moveable toe requires more mass in different places. I do beleive the overal center of gravity is lower though. It's a different feel that leads me to prefer the mushroom knob. YMMV!

Sizes - we're not done - but not actively working on other sizes - as we have other product in the the pipeline. We will be extending this line, but the five sizes of the initial release cover a broad range of application.

The carrier is a small sliding collar that attaches to the blade. The chipbreaker slips over it, and is fastened to it - it's an iterpretation of the old "stay-set" design.

Using the blade upside down - well, we've done it, and it works for a very narrow range of bed angles/bevel angles..... a 40 degree bed with a blade bevel-up and honed at 25 degrees gives a 65 degree effective cut angle. Try it with a regular plane (45+25 = 70) - it does work. While there's nothing wrong with a 65 degree or higher effective cut angle - a blade bevel angle of 25 degrees is a bit low for durability...

Yes - retail stores are fully stocked (or started out that way....!) and they will be glad to let you try the planes!

Cheers -

Rob

Seriously want to put one of these to wood. May have to think about selling some planes. The jointer and the jack epecially.
    Paul

I am not even remotely a neander woodworker, but have nearly all of Veritas BU planes as well as quite a few of the specialized ones as I find them useful where power tools are not the best (i.e., sometimes need to take the tool to the work or small adjustments, etc.). However, I still think these new planes represent a significant step forward in design and ease of use. I may even consider buying one (don't really need it, but still…) to try it out. I congratulate Rob's team for pushing the envelope here.

Seriously considering selling my existing LV BD smoother for a shot at one of these smoothers (even though it is my current favorite).