Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Wonder what LV is up to on 9/13?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I've had a prototype of the 4 in my shop for several months. I'm away from home this weekend and don't have time to post many details at the moment, but when I get back to Philly I'll try to address questions people may have.

FWIW, I have the large Stanley tote on my prototype. It's great... I'm trying to convince them to make similar tote choices available on there BU line... I want one on my LAJ too.

I see they are selling the totes separate. Would they be interchangeable with other Veritas planes?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...182,72240&ap=1

And extra frogs, knobs... man, this is going to be trouble!

Blog Entries
    Watch the "choosing your tote and knob" video. When he pushes down on the plane, is that flex I am seeing? Either it is flexing or his bench has a high spot under the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    The fence would be nice for a jointer when edge jointing.
    Couod Those tapped holes also be used to add some sort of "hot dog" attachment for shooting... either shop made or made by Veritas?

I wonder if these will eventually take the place of their other bevel down planes? Or if they will maintain two price points for each size. Seems a bit redundant.

All parts can also be bought separately from the plane casting:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...40&cat=51&ap=1

and I see that they mention that the fence can be used with the shooter. I'm trying to figure out how this would work.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Great idea! It would be nice to be able to buy all of the tote and knob options with the plane and return what didn't jive with you. Even if not for a cash refund, store credit would work, too. As was mentioned, if you aren't at a hands-on event, it's guessing.
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

Wow, I'm impressed! Lee Valley aknowledges the value of a capiron!

Very nice!

Now, how about that DADO PLANE Mr Lee ?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

This is def a neat idea. In practice with a cap iron I wonder how many will be actually ordering the higher angle frogs? Before the whole recent re-discovery of the cap iron this is something that I was really interested in with LN planes but now I am more than happy with just setting the cap iron really close to the edge. But in general I really like the shape and the extra handle options on this new line of planes. I will probably not be ordering one myself any time soon but think these will be a big hit.

Just been reading the instructions, and I guess you need the plane in front of you to understand everything. It sure looks complex! I wonder how easy it is to assemble everything and how easy to adjust all parts to your liking. Especially how easy it is to set the chipbreaker for a fine setting. In the drawings it looks like they put a decent bevel angle on the chipbreaker, but it is not easy to see.

Well, time will tell. I'm sure there will be some reviews shortly. I'm afraid I won't be a customer though, because I am perfectly happy with my vintage planes.

I only wish I wouldn't have to pay $40 to replace the ugly uncomfortable tote & knob on my scraping plane. If only these were available as an option when I bought it!
    Last edited by allen long; 09-14-2014 at 3:07 PM.
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    If this robot came with an optional "sharpens tools automatically without me being involved" attachment, I'm in.
    I'd settle for an automated sharpening robot, and skip on the optional woodworking modules. I'll butcher the wood and let the robot keep the tools sharp. (Hey Rob, this is your opportunity for a joint venture with Honda! )
    Last edited by John Keeton; 09-16-2014 at 5:15 AM.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I see they are selling the totes separate. Would they be interchangeable with other Veritas planes?

Just quickly, as I am shortly getting on a plane to fly back to Philly (no, I'm not at WIA this weekend...my weekend was much less fun)

Anyway, no not without some additional parts. The BU planes sit on two threaded posted that go through the handle. The new BD planes have one thread post the goes through the handle and then a sorta short rod the extends an inch or so up into it. To put the new totes on the BU line you would need to remove one of the thread rods (i believe the rear one ) and replace it with some type of short post....even with that I'm not sure whether or not the holes would line up exactly. This is something Rob will need to chime in on for more clarity, but as it stands (unless I'm missing something) the answer is no, not quite..you they are not immediately adaptable to Veritas's other lines of planes.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...