Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder what LV is up to on 9/13?

Hmmm. Good thinking. If Chris will spill the beans. Oh wait.... Rob is here......

Blog Entries
    Maybe if we tie Chris up and threaten to take away all his tools, THEN he would spill the beans. If not, we could go to a more strenuous torture- "Board Watering." Do not mistake this with "waterboarding;" Board Watering involves taking all his well-seasoned lumber and pouring water on it until he confesses.

Last, but not least, we make him listen to a cheap, dull plane across an expensive figured board, pulling an tearing wood fibers as it is forced along. The sound is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. Sccccrrrrrraaaatttccchhhh!!!

Rob likes a good tease but he has never gone to this length before. He must be excited therefore I'm willing to be. Therefore I'm expecting something really exciting as would befit LV's bent for true innovation.

What would float my boat the highest right now would be some sort of modern H&R capability. I'd also be thrilled with a honing jig that sets up quickly and can take everything from a # 8 plane iron down to a 1/16" triangular chisel. The jig would produce cambers of a specified radius and easily handle skews An innovative miter box could get the juices flowing.

'Tis fun but useless to speculate. Here's hoping his website can handle all that noon time traffic.

'starts with us and finishes with you'... something in the HVLP space?

I think its going to be a hammer with a chisel head so you don't have to hold the chisel anymore maybe some other combo tool like a dovetail saw with a low angle block plane build into the handle... I should patent those before because last time I had a dumb idea as a joke it became an ipad

I think Lie Nielsen's honing guide is under it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    'starts with us and finishes with you'... something in the HVLP space?
    Battery powered treadle HVLP with a foot power backup?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    'starts with us and finishes with you'...
    '

Pretty obvious then: Ustulated tupelo wood from the bayou

They blacken everything down there.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

9. Either it is an expanded offering of tool kits (saw kits, plane kits, etc.), or it is a highly trained monkey that can apply silky smooth finishes, specially trained in ottawa, and sent via special carrier to the end user. Or perhaps US locations to better serve YOU!

I think you've got a good chance of being right about the kit type stuff.

I don't know about you guys, but I just wired LV all my banking info and told them to send me three of whatever is being released. I just know I can't live without it.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

If it takes up too much space, send me your washitas and hards and I'll store them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I think you've got a good chance of being right about the kit type stuff.
    I really hope not. Their kits all have most of what I already have and only a few of what I don't. Besides, I don't think all the hype would go out just for a bundled kit of what they already have. In fact, I would be pretty upset if that turned out to be the case. Based on Chris' visit to LN and hint that some exciting things were in the works, I have been saving my money for something good.

I am still placing my money on some sort of moulding plane like a Stanley 45 (I think that's the designation)- the one where you can change moulding blades. It would be a natural progression in their line, and is something they are missing. I suggest that whoever gets it right, Rob sends them a free one! (completely unashamed selfish motive)

That said, perhaps some joint venture with Apple, and they have created the iPlane. Now you can get a glassy smooth finish, and check your mail, make calls, get the latest weather, and a wealth of other things, all from the same tool. It would have special sensors that would give immediate information on wood density, moisture content, and pull up a website showing the genus, species, and characteristics of whatever wood you are planing. There would be a Siri attendant that you could ask questions, such as, "Siri, what blade angle is best for this wood?" Siri: "Malcolm, I would recommend a york pitch for this figured wood... I see that you are using a bevel-up with a 25 degree angle; would you like me to pull up the Veritas website so you can order another blade?" Like the new Apple Pay, the plane would also allow you to store credit card information so whenever you decided you need a new tool, you can pay immediately with your plane without the hassle of getting out your card.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    If it takes up too much space, send me your washitas and hards and I'll store them.
    I've already named you in my will David, since I'm a bit older than you! Wife and kids will think the pile of stones is just that: a pile of stones! Funny thing is, my wife was looking over some of my stuff and as a typical uninformed novice tool admirer, thinks the transitionals are worth mega-bucks!

I've email Rob Lee and have gotten a special group buy lined up. Anyone who wants several of what's under the blanket are to send me your bank info and I'll make all the arrangements. What you'll end up with will truly be a surprise.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I've already named you in my will David, since I'm a bit older than you! Wife and kids will think the pile of stones is just that: a pile of stones! Funny thing is, my wife was looking over some of my stuff and as a typical uninformed novice tool admirer, thinks the transitionals are worth mega-bucks!
    Well, the transitionals *are* pretty when they are in top shape. I have one that's in close to top shape with an almost unused iron. It is hard, to me, to envision a time that it's worth selling because it's a 20" long plane and doesn't fit in any discount box.