Thread: Pictures for what can be done with this hunk

Pictures for what can be done with this hunk

Sorry for the confusion on my part about posting images....

IMG_0088R.jpgIMG_0087R.jpgIMG_0086R.jpgIMG_0085.jpg

Jim
    I'm in the same boat as you. I started a similar thread because I don't think I really understand the process of cutting up logs like this....or even simple round logs. I guess like anything, it's a learning process. Looking at the photo, and trying to remember what I learned in a turning class, it looks to me that you have the opportunity to turn what's called a crotch vase. Again, I hardly know anything about anything but if I remember it correctly, it's where there is a substantial branch coming off the main trunk. I've seen beautiful turnings like this but just don't know how to cut up the log, and where to get started. I always feel like the pith has to be cut out (according to what I read) and once that is done, not a lot of timber left. I hope others with much more experience chime in because there has to be a bunch of us that could benefit from their experience

This would make an interesting vase. I would cut off the limbs, mount the trunk between centers, and turn a vase

Jim, did this piece of wood come from a tree that was close to a property line? The reason I ask, is that I don't like the look of the scar in the bark of the tree in the second picture, I'm thinking it could be a wire fence inclusion. I may be wrong, but I've had the misfortune of finding wire in a block with a similar scar. To this day, I don't know why I didn't use my metal detector on that piece.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Jim, did this piece of wood come from a tree that was close to a property line? The reason I ask, is that I don't like the look of the scar in the bark of the tree in the second picture, I'm thinking it could be a wire fence inclusion. I may be wrong, but I've had the misfortune of finding wire in a block with a similar scar. To this day, I don't know why I didn't use my metal detector on that piece.
    Len
    I don't know where this piece came from. I have a neighbor who clears trees for people. All kinds and all sizes although most are large pine and oak. I saw the leaves and branches and talked to him to confirm that they were Bradford pear and then took this from the pile. I will inspect it closely for metal but don't have a metal detector. If I find any evidence of metal I will burn it. The guy is cutting 4 more tomorrow and I will get them from the cut site as whole trunks. They line a driveway out in the country so I guess it is possible that they might have had a wire fence on them at one time. If possible I will talk to the property owner.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    This would make an interesting vase. I would cut off the limbs, mount the trunk between centers, and turn a vase
    If you look at pic 2, how much of the trunk do you think is usable? I think that the natural curve of the trunk would be a problem.