Thread: multiple small dust collectors instead of ducting?

multiple small dust collectors instead of ducting?

I am in the process of trying to figure out dust collection for my small shop. a friend of mine has 4 grizzly 1hp dust collectors that he had planned to use for large downdraft sanding tables but ended up going with a large cyclone for his shop instead. I can get them for a steal, but if they don't serve my purpose, it's not worth it. they are rated for around 550 cfm. Would these work efficiently directly connected to my 10" cabinet saw, 17" bandsaw, router table, and most importantly to a 6" jointer and a 13" planer? These have only been used a few times and I can get all 4 for $300. Biggest problem I see with them so far is they only have 5 micron bags on them.

Your planer will fill up one of those bags in no time. I have one set up temporarily on my table saw and it fills up by me ripping 300bd ft into FF material with a 1/8" kerf blade. You'll have fine dust EVERYWHERE.

Buy them for $300 and sell them for $500 on CL and put towards a better system.
    -Lud

General rule of thumb regarding portable DC's is to expect only about 50% of the "rated" cfm. That is, a max of 275 cfm on 550 cfm collector. A 10" table saw will require a minimum of 450+. For effective collection of the "fines" a 5 micron bag will not do. You need a 1 micron bag as you rightly stated.

Chad, I'll be in the minority on this, but I think you'll be fine. The rule of thumb is you need at least 3500 fpm air flow to move dust away from a machine, and with a 4" duct, that's about 300cfm. Since you're not talking about setting one of these up in the corner and putting in a big duct system, you'll also have the benefit of pretty near the highest air flow rate the units can produce. All things being equal, in your shoes I'd buy them. If you find you can sell one on CL or the like, you can use the proceeds to upgrade the 5 micron bag on one(s) used for the dust producer(s). I see no reason why a 5 micron bag wouldn't be acceptable for a jointer or a planer, both of which make big chips more than fine dust. I suppose it depends on whether you've a basement shop or plane in your driveway, whether you wear a dust mask when you're working, etc., but if you've nothing right now, then you'd be in for a major upgrade.

daniel
    Last edited by daniel lane; 09-10-2014 at 1:57 PM.
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

The bags should be cheap to replace. Check Amazon, I think they have some 1 micron bags (Big Horn?) for about $35.

The 3500 FPM is to keep dust moving in the duct. The CFM requirement is machine specific. I assume the planer is a lunchbox 13". You will likely be OK on the planer and jointer if direct connected. You probably don't need a better bag either for them, but might as well get the 1 micron if you have to replace. You may need more CFM for the TS and BS? They would certainly be better served with the 1 micron bag. Still better than nothing.

Four dust collectors in a small shop will take up some room...

Mike

Blog Entries
    I have a 1HP Delta bagger. I threw a $100+ custom top bag from American Fabric Filter at it, went with a solid bag on the bottom and it now does fine for my jointer and an edge sander. I run a cyclone for everything else. Before the oversized bag it was weak on airflow and the 5 micron factory bag shot fine dust everywhere. It did get me by while I saved up for better but, I pretty much had to leave the garage door open or suffer the consequences of a confined airspace saturated with fines. Is this where I should mention that I am now on daily medication to counteract the irreversible effects of breathing that atmosphere? If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have scrimped on dust collection any more than I would scrimp on brain surgery ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Is this where I should mention that I am now on daily medication to counteract the irreversible effects of breathing that atmosphere? If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have scrimped on dust collection any more than I would scrimp on brain surgery ;-)
    I could feel it too. Luckily, convincing my wife that I NEEDED to upgrade my DC only took me asking. Hopefully I won't have any effects later on in my years.
    -Lud

I am not looking to cheap out on dust collectors, just saw a deal and came on here to ask the pro's if it may work for my situation. My shop has been moved to my basement, so I am concerned about the fines in the shop as well as in the house.

My shop is 19 x 26 with 7' ceilings. My longest duct run would be to my band saw at 25'. After spending some time on bill pentz's website, my brain started to hurt. That's a lot of info to take in. I just can't believe I need a 5hp cyclone to make it safe in my house. I guess this situation there may be no happy medium.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Burkhart View Post
    I am not looking to cheap out on dust collectors, just saw a deal and came on here to ask the pro's if it may work for my situation. My shop has been moved to my basement, so I am concerned about the fines in the shop as well as in the house.

My shop is 19 x 26 with 7' ceilings. My longest duct run would be to my band saw at 25'. After spending some time on bill pentz's website, my brain started to hurt. That's a lot of info to take in. I just can't believe I need a 5hp cyclone to make it safe in my house. I guess this situation there may be no happy medium.
    For a small shop, 2 or 3 hp is plenty. I went with a 2 hp SDG (with a 7"main which helps) and it works fine, but in retrospect, for another 15% in cost, I could have gone with a 3 hp unit and been happier with the numbers. Four more machines and hoses in a shop that is already not very large? No thanks. But the 7' ceiling is a bummer and could dictate your choices.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Burkhart View Post

Chad, you don't need a 5 HP cyclone.

I have a 1.5HP Oneida in a very small shop with very short duct runs.

It's at it limit for performance with the machines I have, a 2 HP unit would handle a slightly larger layout.

I have a HEPA filter on it, the particle counter indicates that my shop air is much cleaner than my outside ambient air.

Spend a good amount of money on your dust collection, your entire family will suffer otherwise if you have a shop in the house...........Rod.

Rod is correct, the key is shortening your duct runs. Shorter runs means better performance (more flow because of less losses), and less expensive installation cost.

You may have to do some re-arranging to optimize the use of these unit(s). The re-arranging would likely benefit any collector if you upgrade in the future.

Years ago I had a 1 HP DC, the little one that has the bag sticking out the side. I had it hooked right to the 4" port on my Unisaw, and it seemed to work pretty good. The only problem, as others have mentioned, was the bag. It was nylon, and a lot of fines seeped out. If you thumped it with a finger, a cloud would come off. It also gave off a 3/4" spark of static electricity if I touched the bag, till I put a ground wire between the DC and the saw.

With a good newer style bag, it would have worked fine.

Rick P

13. If you have a bunch of small blowers why would you not consider using a small cyclone or a Thein style separator between the blower and the filter bag? These little plastic guys work well or you can make one that works about as well. If they are dedicated to the machine, with no duct run you would be ahead of the game. I have not had good experience with single stage dust systems the bags clog and knocking them clean creates as much or more of a dust problem as just running wide open. I dunno, it just makes sense to use some sort of store bought or home brew separator before the filter. They are cheap to buy and easy pie to make. Best luck, stay healthy.