Thread: Looking for dowel jig testers

Looking for dowel jig testers

I've been working on a dowel jig design that uses a router with 5/8" guide bushing (instead of the more common drill bit). I'm getting to the point where I think I've got a pretty useful concept, and I'm interested in sending one each to two people that could put them through their paces. You will need a router that accepts standard PC bushings. I will supply the bushing, and a 3/8" spiral bit with 1/2" shank.

The advantages of my design are: (1) Holes cut with router have nicely sheared wood fibers, not torn, so the holes are smooth and uniform. (2) Very straight holes, much better than I've ever gotten with a drill bit. My joints nearly want to assemble themselves. (3) Three sets of witness holes accommodate centering your dowel holes in many different stock widths. Not that centered holes are critical, but if you can, why not? (4) Ability to drill two (or even three, I suppose) rows of holes with one setting if you're using thicker stock. (5) Ability to replace fence (simple design) to accommodate angles.

They key is, if I send you one, you actually have to use it and report-back to me. I'm not looking for collectors of free stuff that are going to stick them on the shelf. So there is a commitment here. Also, I'm asking that feedback be provided only to me at this time, not posted publicly.

In exchange, you get to keep any stuff I send you.

I would be sending units next week. I'd like to hear experiences as soon as possible after that.

Please E-Mail phil (at) cgallery (dot) com if you're interested in testing. Please include the name you're using at SMC, the make/model of router you'd be using, your previous experiences with doweling jigs, any anything else you feel is relevant. Please do not PM me as my PM inbox here fills quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks interesting Phil! I'd love to test it but I don't get enough shop time with two young kids. Good luck!

Phil, I would be proud to test as I have been looking for a better system.
    Bill
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-11-2014 at 3:01 PM.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Whip-smart Prashun talked me into going back to the drawing board, Bill Huber concurred, LOL.

So that is what I'm doing.

There are actually a couple of guys that expressed disappointment that I wasn't going to make the mortising jig I had demonstrated in a previous thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=2136395). I found one in HDPE. I'll cut another and send them out in a few days.