Thread: TU Type 555 Thread/Joint Sealing Compound

TU Type 555 Thread/Joint Sealing Compound

Any of you use or familiar with this product? I love it and use it on all threaded joints around the house.

I have a question I haven't been able to find info on googling around the 'net.

Can this pipe joint compound handle the (temporary) heat from soldering copper fittings?

I have to thread a copper male adapter onto a shower valve and then solder a street 90 fitting to it.

I know this must be done ALL THE TIME but I just want some confidence or experience that it is fine.

I suppose I could thread it on the valve as tight as I can get it and then mark it and then remove it and solder the pipe that way and then hope I can get the 90 to the right position but I'd rather do everything up "dry" and then solder it all in one go.

I see that this stuff can work up to 400 F but I know the heat required to melt solder is about 200 F higher than that hence my concern.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Solder it first. Then thread tape and dope it before tightening it in. Been doing it that way for twenty years.

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking I need to do it that way. I would normally do it that way if I had a longish straight piece of pipe on there first but I'm in tight quarters and need to 90 it right away so positioning the 90 is causing me pause. I have some emails out asking the same question...see if I get any responses.

In my twenty years of plumbing I've never done it different

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post

Can this pipe joint compound handle the (temporary) heat from soldering copper fittings?
    I have to thread a copper male adapter onto a shower valve and then solder a street 90 fitting to it.
    Thanks!
    Chris wrap some soft flatten 1/2" copper tubing about 12" long around the adapter one time, just above where you are going to solder, hold it there with with vise gripes. It will keep the heat from moving onto the shower valve. Plumbers do it all the time around here. Tom

Ah, a heat sink! Great idea! Thanks!

So I just learned something poking around the good old web.

It seems the MALE threaded taps on my shower (mixer, K-304-KS) valve (I mistakenly wrote in my initial post that I needed to use a copper male adapter...wrong...that should have been a copper female adapter) are designed to be threaded or soldered. Wow...I never even considered that or noticed it. COOL.

However the transfer valve (K-728) does have female threaded taps on it that require male adapters so no chance of soldering there. Still gotta use the goop on those connections.
    Attached Images Attached Images