Thread: Newbie question about vise material

Newbie question about vise material

Hi,

I am currently building a workbench; it's going to be a bit of a Fraken-bench with hem-fir I bought from Lowes (16' long 2x12's ripped to size, etc.) for the legs and stretchers and an MDF top (modified GSIW plan a bit). Intention is to have a front leg vise and a twin-screw end vise. Size is about 6'x2' (which is as long as I can make it in the space I have).

Anyway, on to my question: I will likely have some hem-fir left over, and so I was wondering if it would be OK to use that for the chop for the leg vise and/or the jaws of the end vise. The other options would either be getting some SYP from a local yard here, or a hardwood like poplar or oak.

I searched some old threads on this topic, and my guess is that it would be OK, but I did want to at least get some opinions.

Also, what's a good thickness for the leg vise chop? Thanks in advance for your responses.

All will work, he softwoods will be less robust on one hand, but less likely to mar your work on the other. You are woodworker now; if a chop need replacing because it is dinged up or you want to try a hardwood one, no big deal; you can make anew one in less than an hour!
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

My grandfather's leg vise is Douglas fir. Doug fir is a stiffer, harder wood than most of the hem-fir I've seen. I'm with Sean: give it a try. Worst case, you'll learn something not to do.

3" is nice for the chop, particularly for the kind of wood you're trying out. I've seen thinner, but you'll get more bending/less holding. No harm in gluing two pieces of nominal 2x stock together to get 3"

I second Bills advise.
    Jim

Edit: welcome to the Creek.
    Ancora Yacht Service

It would make an excellent leg vise, if it's long enough.

A little "spring" in a leg vise is good for work holding.
    Just make sure it's dry enough, or the pin board will bind.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Much appreciated. I will post some pics when done; right now there's not much to see other than some boards acclimating in my basement shop area.