Thread: Delta 8" grinder arbor nut + CBN

Delta 8" grinder arbor nut + CBN

Switched out AO wheels for the CBN today but have a question. The Delta uses a winged arbor nut that you spread open for locking in place after you tighten the nut on the shaft by hand. See pics. They seem to work fine with the new wheels and don't see how they could loosen up but wanted to see if anyone else had switched out this style for a regular nut or if leaving these winged nuts on was completely safe or not. I think they are completely safe this way but I don't know how much I like the idea of those wings spinning around without some type of guard around them. Any opinions?

CBN 1.jpgCBN 2.jpgCBN 3.jpgCBN 4.jpg
    Last edited by David Delo; 09-10-2014 at 3:43 PM. Reason: wrong picture

I would have to think they are safe as well. I can't imagine Delta would use them on their own wheels if they weren't. I have a Rikon and made the switch as well. I was not able to reinstall the side plates though because of the width of the new wheels. Did you have this problem, any concerns other than the obvious from not having the sides?

I could say that they must be pretty new because I have never seen them before, but I do miss things. Looks good to me. One problem, especially for those who know nothing about grinders is trying to get the nut on very tight, which can crack the grinding wheels.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    I would have to think they are safe as well. I can't imagine Delta would use them on their own wheels if they weren't. I have a Rikon and made the switch as well. I was not able to reinstall the side plates though because of the width of the new wheels. Did you have this problem, any concerns other than the obvious from not having the sides?
    Scott,Not sure what you mean by the side plates. If you mean the original shrouds on either side of the wheels, no I needed to remove both of them for the new wheels that are 1.5". If you meant the original washers on both sides of the wheel. I didn't plan on using them and your not suppose to. They don't fit the new wheel hubs. I ordered a couple sets of self-aligning washers with the wheels so I knew that when I ordered them. This grinder has shaft stickout of something like 2 3/8" each side and everything fits quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I could say that they must be pretty new because I have never seen them before, but I do miss things. Looks good to me. One problem, especially for those who know nothing about grinders is trying to get the nut on very tight, which can crack the grinding wheels.robo hippy
    Can't remember exactly but this unit is maybe a good 2 years old, not more than 3.

I've been using those with my D-Way wheel for about a year with no issues.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I've been using those with my D-Way wheel for about a year with no issues.
    Thanks Thom, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Same as Thom, I've been using my Delta with two CBN wheels for two years with no problems. The look scary and I would like to replace them but they stay put. If you find a regular nut that fits these threads let me know.

Might paint them bright orange or yellow to keep them as visible as possible. I've had CBN wheels on my 5 year old Delta for two years with no problems.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I jerryriged a couple pieces of paneling to warn anyone about them. I take mine to open shop where lots of turners are starting out so they are warned. good s

That's a good idea Bob. Think I'll try that out and see how it looks.