Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to find new gold mirrors for my Universal laser

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Gat View Post
    Attachment 296493Attachment 296494Thanks for all the replies, here are the mirrors in question. Would I be power loss based on this wear? It's a pretty old tube so I'm not getting near 50w in the first place. I assume based on the conversations here I can just find a cheapish .75" x 1/8" mirror, pop these ones off the bracket, re-glue on be on my way?
    Those mirrors are done, and yes, you are losing a ton of power. I'd bet your lens and beam window are done as well based on the look of the mirrors. I had one client with a machine in similar condition to yours. Started at 26.2 watts ended up at 53.6 after replacing all the optics. Check around with optics suppliers that do ZNSE they should be able to get you older optics for your laser.

Also, you can go aftermarket mirrors, but remember universal Quality checks the crap out of their suppliers and will not carry them if they don't meet spec. If you want aftermarket mirrors and lenses most of us dealers can get them to you cheaper by 10-20 percent. But the power coming out of them that I've tested has been a 3-5% difference in power at the cutting table. Reliability has been about the same though.

Also, old universal tubes really don't mean you've lost anything for power. I've seen a number of 10 year old 50 watt universal tubes still putting out 53-58 watts. Though, your model has tubes that aren't made by Universal rather they are made by Synrad who have similar reliability ratings.
    Last edited by Kevin Gregerson; 09-12-2014 at 11:45 AM.

I just bought a mirror from Epilog, .75 x .120 and it cost $40 with shipping. It may be worth using their mirrors instead of the more expensive ones.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

I'd say you got your money's worth out of those mirrors!

Mirrors on one of the cheapest investments on a laser. How long have these been used?
    Are they cleaned regularly? Are you rastering or engraving something different than recommended?

You should see great improvement when replaced, which could pay for those mirrors in a short time...
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Are they cleaned regularly?
    Looks like they were scrubbed with steel wool once a week, whether they needed it or not.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Looks like they were scrubbed with steel wool once a week, whether they needed it or not.

Optics should never be allowed to get even within a football field of that level of abuse. I expected some slightly chipping or foxing around the edges, but the entire piece was obviously abused in another life.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post

Optics should never be allowed to get even within a football field of that level of abuse. I expected some slightly chipping or foxing around the edges, but the entire piece was obviously abused in another life.
    They get like that when put into storage in the middle of the country for some reason. I think it has something to do with a combination of heat and cold with all the chemicals in the machine becoming corrosive fumes or something to that nature. If you plan to store the machine for long periods of time it's best to pull the optics and store them in their own container in a ziplock. They last longer that way.

Vaguely related question: mirrors/lenses are easy to replace, but how hard is it to remove/replace the beam window in a VL200?
    From the front it looks like it's in some kind of rubber/plastic grommet...I hate those things.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Blog Entries
    Easy,
    You do need access to the back side, but it just has a "nut" holding it together.
    So take off some covers and have at it.

Howard Garner
    VL300 & VLS350 both 30 Watt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregerson View Post
    They get like that when put into storage in the middle of the country for some reason. I think it has something to do with a combination of heat and cold with all the chemicals in the machine becoming corrosive fumes or something to that nature. If you plan to store the machine for long periods of time it's best to pull the optics and store them in their own container in a ziplock. They last longer that way.
    it's the moisture I mentioned earlier... but that optic had to have been practically sitting in water Just like with a bathroom mirror, once moisture gets under the edge of the coating, it will continue to wick in and destroy from the edges inward. That's also why I said a mirror can be perfectly usable if it's just the edges that are flaking... but that piece was well beyond "just the edges".
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Garner View Post
    Easy,
    You do need access to the back side, but it just has a "nut" holding it together.
    So take off some covers and have at it.
    Ah, good to know, thanks.
    I left those PITA rear cover screws off (a tip from the tech when I replaced the tube a couple years ago), so that shouldn't be too bad.

laser mirror.jpg
    Those mirrors are a bit worse than mine was, I was able to just turn my mirror and restore full power.
    Anyone have an idea of what caused this?
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Blog Entries
    Do you have a copy of the service manual?
    I have a zip file if you need it. Covers VL200 and VL300

Howard Garner

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pabia View Post
    laser mirror.jpg
    Those mirrors are a bit worse than mine was, I was able to just turn my mirror and restore full power.
    Anyone have an idea of what caused this?
    I wonder if it was just not cleaned completely? If you get residue on it and
    leave it there, the beam can heat the residue and cook the coating.

I can't even fathom how mirrors can get that bad? The original mirrors in my 18 year old ULS and 10 year old LS900 look like brand new. Every once in awhile they get a Q-tip wiped over them. Pics are of the lens head mirror on my ULS. The gantry mirror looks no worse--

mirror1.jpgmirror2.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I can't even fathom how mirrors can get that bad? The original mirrors in my 18 year old ULS and 10 year old LS900 look like brand new. Every once in awhile they get a Q-tip wiped over them. Pics are of the lens head mirror on my ULS. The gantry mirror looks no worse--

mirror1.jpgmirror2.jpg
    Depends on the user and what they are used for. Converters who are running 3m materials tend to go through at least a set of optics every year. Schools, seem to be on two extremes either once a quarter or once every several years. Really depends on the usage. I find the ones in labs tend to need a lot more work. Where the ones dedicated to a department tend to be better as the training gets passed down correctly. Military is probably the most random when it comes to maintenance needs. It seems to be timed more towards military activity than materials or anything else.