Thread: 14" delta bandsaw dust collection

14" delta bandsaw dust collection

Looking for ideas, I am thinking of installing a 4" connection below the lower wheel
    pictures are welcomed
    thanks!
    Carpe Lignum

14" delta bandsaw dust collection

Would connect closer to blade guides if had it to do over.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't totally remember who did this on here but it looked like a pretty nice solution.

There's also this one. No photo of the finished product though.

Thanks guys
    I did a prototype last night with pvc pipe and duct tape
    just have to hinge it now
    photos later...
    Carpe Lignum

Here is my prototype for my Jet, it is the same layout as the Delta.

I just have 2 1/4" hose with my Dust Cobra, and it works very well, it gets the dust before it goes anywhere. I resawed a 5"x24" walnut board and there was no dust in the bottom of the saw.

I hold it on whit a magnet from an old hard drive, I can just pull it off when changing the blade.

Now that I have the prototype done and working I need to make the finished product.

P9122593.jpg P9122594.jpg P9122595.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Here is my prototype for my Jet, it is the same layout as the Delta.

I just have 2 1/4" hose with my Dust Cobra, and it works very well, it gets the dust before it goes anywhere. I resawed a 5"x24" walnut board and there was no dust in the bottom of the saw.

I hold it on whit a magnet from an old hard drive, I can just pull it off when changing the blade.

Now that I have the prototype done and working I need to make the finished product.

P9122593.jpg P9122594.jpg P9122595.jpg
    Love the harddrive magnets!
    but yours does not account for the tilting of the table
    Carpe Lignum

This is the link on this forum to what I did. Not sure how to make it show so use the Link Version #2 of these 2 solutions works the best. Very similar to what others have posted. Far Far better than nothing and I didn't want to cut holes in the wheel covers. While not perfect it does work pretty well.
    it is hooked on mostly by friction but has a tab that the lower cover knob holds in place. Right now it is just bent sheet metal. Will probably mill out some Aluminum or find something that is steel that is a bit more rigid. I like the acrylic design above.

Randy...

Dust Col.jpgI built one from an article in American Woodworker Oct 2004 that works great for me, for more info send me an email.
    Les Derusha

I installed a 4" port and it did improve dust collection. I tried connecting the original small port beside the blade under the table simultaneously but couldn't see a difference in the amount of dust. I ended up plugging it with some styrofoam. A considerable amount of dust is still entrained with the blade and comes out from around the blade guard and onto the table. Mounting a brush against the top of the lower wheel's tire might help with that, though I haven't tried it.

Bandsaw dust collection port 1.jpg Bandsaw dust collection port 2.jpg

I tried another modification (in addition to the 4" port on the lower door) and it made a difference. I added a "deflector" below the table beside the original dust collection port, similar to what I saw on some bandsaws at the local Woodcraft last weekend. The first picture shows the result with the DC connected to the 4" port prior to adding the deflector. The second picture shows the result running with the DC and a shop vac attached to the original port after adding the deflector. The last two pictures show the deflector, which was made from a piece of walnut screwed to a piece of sheet metal that's held to the saw by the bolts for the dust port door latch and the lower door latch.
    With dust collector 003.jpgBandsaw dust collection 2.jpg Deflector + DC + vac 3.jpg Deflector + DC + vac 4.jpg

Blog Entries
    So many ways to go. I would not attach to the door however. This seems like it would be cumbersome during blade changes.

G0513X-DC-mod 002.jpg . G0513X-DC-Add 002.jpg
    G0513X-DC-mod 003.jpg . G0513X-DC-Add 005.jpg

I found with the capture point right below the blade that the lower compartment collection point was unneeded. I covered it with a piece of sheet magnet from the inside. I did something similar on my little 10" but just used a piece of cardboard as a deflector.

2-12 hose uses 003.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler