Thread: Question about an old Stanley bailey NO. 6

Question about an old Stanley bailey NO. 6

So I got an old Stanley Bailey No 6C today and I was cleaning it up I noticed the lateral lever doesn't really seem to engage much in fact it feels quite loose. Could it be missing a part?

Well I just looked at some pics and it is missing the small wheel that is attached to it. Any ideas on how to correct this?

Go to nhplaneparts.com and ask eric if he has a replacement lever, and rivet.

For now, just laterally adjust with a hammer.

Thanks guys

I found nhplaneparts on eBay and made a purchase that resolves my problem thank you

I bought a #5 a year or so ago with the same issue but the previous owner had already fixed it by riveting a small square nut (kinda reminds me of the old erector sets) in its place. His modification also requires a slightly thicker iron (Union) to be used. Works fine.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    Make that a small hammer.

I have a 7 oz hammer I use to just tap on the irons. It is bigger than what I think most woody owners use, but it is all that I have.

I was going to rivet a small nut on there but I found the part I needed with Eric at nhplaneparts. I should have it in a couple of days. I will probably modify the part I have now to keep it handy in case I ever need it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Lopez View Post
    I was going to rivet a small nut on there but I found the part I needed with Eric at nhplaneparts. I should have it in a couple of days. I will probably modify the part I have now to keep it handy in case I ever need it
    Use a fat washer instead of a nut and it will likely work better with any blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)