Thread: Routed Letter Templates

Routed Letter Templates

Hey all,

It would seem that things are slowing down a bit and I need to generate some quick "bread & butter" income. I figured routed signs would be a nice place to start as I have a distribution outlet that will cost me zero.

I bought the SignCrafter System from Rockler and found it to be very flimsy. I determined that it would not take the potential everyday abuse and decided to return it before even turning my router on.

I did a search, but didn't come up with much - the same system at Woodcraft and acrylic letters in the UK.

Does anyone know of a source for these templates?

Thanks in advance,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Unni
    Hey all,

It would seem that things are slowing down a bit and I need to generate some quick "bread & butter" income. I figured routed signs would be a nice place to start as I have a distribution outlet that will cost me zero.

I bought the SignCrafter System from Rockler and found it to be very flimsy. I determined that it would not take the potential everyday abuse and decided to return it before even turning my router on.

I did a search, but didn't come up with much - the same system at Woodcraft and acrylic letters in the UK.

Does anyone know of a source for these templates?

Thanks in advance,
    -joe
    What are they made out of? Sounds like a job a laser cutter.

Joe.
    Here is an idea.
    Offer cut to size services to sign shops and others. Custom size vanities to plumbing supply stores/retail customers.

And.....(this is a good one)... woodworking lessons to anyone.
    After Sept. we will have few EZ Smart woodworking schools.
    You can teach people how to use the EZ (and other tools) and the same time you can sell some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    What are they made out of? Sounds like a job a laser cutter.
    Lee,

If you're speaking of the templates themselves, I suspect they could be made out of mose anythings.

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Makropoulos
    Joe.
    Here is an idea.
    Offer cut to size services to sign shops and others. Custom size vanities to plumbing supply stores/retail customers.

And.....(this is a good one)... woodworking lessons to anyone.
    After Sept. we will have few EZ Smart woodworking schools.
    You can teach people how to use the EZ (and other tools) and the same time you can sell some stuff.
    Dino,

Funny you should mention...

I attend a networking meeting each week and a very short while ago I put the call out for sign companies and woodworking lessons. I'd love to teach woodworking to the beginners and EZ would definately be part of the class.

Thanks,
    -joe

-Zen Master Unmon

Dino,

Funny you should mention...

I attend a networking meeting each week and a very short while ago I put the call out for sign companies and woodworking lessons. I'd love to teach woodworking to the beginners and EZ would definately be part of the class.

Thanks,
    -joe
    Sign shops don't have the room or the people to use woodworking equipments. All the sign shops in my area send me stuff every day to be cut.
    Aluminum,vinyl,PVC etc.etc.
    The Ez Smart schools idea come after I demo the Ez, and other tools to a vocational school. Starting this season few vocational schools will use the EZ instead of traditional woodworking tools. With the Ez repeater (new name) and few other Ez stuff we can keep the woodworking classes open.
    One thing that you may like to do is..go to the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Makropoulos
    Sign shops don't have the room or the people to use woodworking equipments. All the sign shops in my area send me stuff every day to be cut.
    Aluminum,vinyl,PVC etc.etc.
    The Ez Smart schools idea come after I demo the Ez, and other tools to a vocational school. Starting this season few vocational schools will use the EZ instead of traditional woodworking tools. With the Ez repeater (new name) and few other Ez stuff we can keep the woodworking classes open.
    One thing that you may like to do is..go to the schools.
    Dino,

You don't need school for E-Z..... it is already too E-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    Dino,

You don't need school for E-Z..... it is already too E-Z
    Yes but..we need to show ...what else will it do.
    The Dead Wood Concept ...LIVE.
    When we first start the Ez Smart people thought
    it was another fancy shooter board.
    This is funny.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...556cad56c914fe

Today we outperformed the tablesaw on speed,(2 times faster) safety (1000 times safer) and quality of cut where the tablesaw ...was the King. On repeat cuts.
    Do you think this guys from the google group will believe?
    We need the schools and the schools need the Dead wood Concept.
    You can talk to your local school district and we can send the right people to demo the EZ and the Dead wood Concept before they close the woodworking classes.
    Thanks to you guys.

If you're speaking of the templates themselves, I suspect they could be made out of mose anythings.
    That's kind of what I suspected. People are always asking me if my laser will cut 3/4" oak or whatever. It won't, but it will cut dead perfect router templates out of 1/4" MDF or acrylic. If you need or want a thicker template, just cut more of them and laminate it up. Or you can use that template once to make a "permanent" template out of pretty much anything a router bit can cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    That's kind of what I suspected. People are always asking me if my laser will cut 3/4" oak or whatever. It won't, but it will cut dead perfect router templates out of 1/4" MDF or acrylic. If you need or want a thicker template, just cut more of them and laminate it up. Or you can use that template once to make a "permanent" template out of pretty much anything a router bit can cut.
    Lee, you beat me to it, as I was thinking Joe should keep the "Cheaply made" templates he bought and use them only as the Master set to make his own templates from plexiglass, thin Baltic Birch, Tempered hardboard, or Other material. When his shop made templates get worn, just get the Master set out and remake only the worn ones.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Norman B. Hitt
    Lee, you beat me to it, as I was thinking Joe should keep the "Cheaply made" templates he bought and use them only as the Master set to make his own templates from plexiglass, thin Baltic Birch, Tempered hardboard, or Other material. When his shop made templates get worn, just get the Master set out and remake only the worn ones.
    Forgive the ignorant question, but what would be the best way to make them? Would it be to route through the materials you suggest? and cut the templates to size?

-Zen Master Unmon

[QUOTE=Joe Unni]Forgive the ignorant question, but what would be the best way to make them? Would it be to route through the materials you suggest? and cut the templates to size?[/QUOTE

That's it Joe. Just put the material you want to make the template out of under the "Store bought Template" and use a pattern bit to duplicate the original template. You might want to cut the new template blanks to size before you rout them out, depending on how the template frame is set up, but maybe not.

Let us know what you do, and how it works out.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".