Thread: Lathe and shaper

Lathe and shaper

I have an opportunity to upgrade my Atlas/Craftsman lathe to this Logan. Assuming everything works as it should would you do it?

There is also a small shaper available I don't have much room for it so I might pass but how useful would the shaper be? I've never used one, I already have a Millrite milling machine. Both machines might be available to the public if I pass, they are in NJ. I'm helping the heir clean out her parents house. There are a lot of tools that need a good home.

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

JMO but I’d pass on the lathe. I don’t think you gain much, if any on capacity and the lack of a quick change gear box would be a show stopper for me. The shaper might be worthwhile if you routinely need to remove a lot of material from metal blocks but are pretty much useless for anything else. I’d stick with the Millrite.

BTW, I own a Logan 6565 14X40 it’s an ok lathe but not a great lathe.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The deal might be worthwhile for tooling, the machines would not get me very excited although they would be great for someone without a lathe or mill.

I'd go for the shaper, but purely on the basis of the cool factor. (Think of it as "machinist retro".)

Take my experience and GO FOR THE LATHE. You will find a WORLD of difference in the depth of cut you can take with the Logan. My first lathe was a Sears Atlas. It was incredibly slow getting anything done. My next lathe was a Jet 10 x 24". It could take MUCH deeper cuts,and I could make something in a few hours that would have taken many times longer on the Atlas. I did own a Logan,too.They are decent lathes. I had bought one for my father. When he died,I had it in my shop for a few years.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-25-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Any suggestions on disassembling the lathe for transport? Do I have to cut the flat belt to remove the jack shaft and motor? I'm not sure where to start. The shaper is not following me home. It's looking for a new home.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

So they say… a shaper can make anything but money, but for personal use, it would be a nice to have.

Nice score on the lathe. Tooling looks awesome.

Myself,I don't have any extra money for what looks like a very minimum upgrade.Now if it had a QCGB,maybe an Aloris for a tool post that would get my coins shaken----Carroll