Thread: Oops

Oops

This is a Super Shop, basically a Shopsmith on steroids. It will even mill aluminum or brass, they tell me.

I bought it a couple years back to play around with. Never used it yet, as the wheels were installed backwards and I could not move it around very well, so it got put on the back burner. Tonight I finished reinstalling the wheels. I had it up on blocks about 4", and when I tried to lower it with my floor jack, I must have gotten it off center. It is super heavy, and it's all up high. I lifted it off the blocks on one side about a quarter inch, removed the blocks, and it started leaning. I grabbed it, but it made no difference at all, down it went.

Luckily, I had enough room to squeeze backward as it went over, and it only took a chunk out of my hand. I was standing in that small space to the left of the pic, between the band saw side and the shelf unit. I don't know what damage I have done, can't see any from this view, and I need a couple big guys to help me get it up

More proof that God watches out over idiots.

P9220063.jpg

P9220062.jpg

Rick Potter
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-11-2014 at 3:15 AM.

Hope nothing is broken, the good Lord looks after me too, but usually it is a month or 2 before I notice.

Don't you just love how time slows down AFTER it starts happening. I could avoid/save a lot of my disasters if my adrenaline were clairvoyant.

Glad you're okay. I hope you and the machine only received a little cosmetic damage.
    -Lud

Think of it like this. Now you can REALLY get to the wheels.
    Glad ya weren't hurt worse.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Glad to hear that you weren't seriously injured Rick..............Regards, Rod.

glad that you was not hurt serious , keep everybody inform on the machine damage

While I am glad you were not injured seriously, that certainly deserves more than an "oops".

Wayne

Good news, a buddy and I managed to get the monster on its feet. I checked it out, ran it, and cut some wood on it. Everything seems just fine, except for a heavy duty steel blade cover that hit the floor first and gave the SuperShop a crumple zone to land on.

It has been a while since I have done body work, but I am sure I can get the blade guard back in order, just gotta find my body tools.

Disaster averted,
    Rick P

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Good news, a buddy and I managed to get the monster on its feet. I checked it out, ran it, and cut some wood on it. Everything seems just fine, except for a heavy duty steel blade cover that hit the floor first and gave the SuperShop a crumple zone to land on.

It has been a while since I have done body work, but I am sure I can get the blade guard back in order, just gotta find my body tools.

Disaster averted,
    Rick P
    after you find the body tools , will you be able to reach the damaged area to hammer it back out ?

Guess I wasn't too clear, Ray. The bent up piece is a detachable lower blade guard/DC fitting. It covers the bottom part of the blade, under the table. It was not attached during the fall, and slid off the machine in time to land between the table and the floor....and got crunched. It is made of steel that is about as thick as an old car body. The table got it partially, but the adjusting handle for the tilting table is a 1" thick steel rod that juts out beyond the table. It skewered the guard, and saved the aluminum table from damage.

Like I said, this thing is built pretty heavily. The table trolley even has gears to move it side to side, unlike just sliding a Shopsmith. All the attachments fit in a 2" or so arbor using R-8 inserts held in a morse taper like a shaper.

Anyway, no damage that can't be fixed with a body hammer and dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Guess I wasn't too clear, Ray. The bent up piece is a detachable lower blade guard/DC fitting. It covers the bottom part of the blade, under the table. It was not attached during the fall, and slid off the machine in time to land between the table and the floor....and got crunched. It is made of steel that is about as thick as an old car body. The table got it partially, but the adjusting handle for the tilting table is a 1" thick steel rod that juts out beyond the table. It skewered the guard, and saved the aluminum table from damage.

Like I said, this thing is built pretty heavily. The table trolley even has gears to move it side to side, unlike just sliding a Shopsmith. All the attachments fit in a 2" or so arbor using R-8 inserts held in a morse taper like a shaper.

Anyway, no damage that can't be fixed with a body hammer and dolly.
    I fail to explain what I see about your saw blade cover,the saw blade is round ? so the cover is also round ? so how can you get into the inside of the cover to beat it back out ?