Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tool looking for a problem?

A tool looking for a problem?

Got this in my email this morning…. I never knew I was doing it wrong…

http://www.igaging.com/page45.html

Makes sense for a jointer, but the email was talking about the tough job of setting handplane blades, and the way they word it, my brain goes to the clumsy folks in infomercials…
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Is it a ruse?

WoW..... a digital depth gauge with .156" of travel ? ! ?

Totally New Concept
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

In six months I'll bet that we see a few "never used" ones for sale on the classifieds though...

That reminds me of the 1001 gadgets that Stewart MacDonald has in their catalogs to aid every conceivable brain dead cell in guitar making.

That's funny!

Accuracy +/- 0.001". So not usable in the Japanese planing contests. That's a pitty.

I'm eagerly awaiting digital toilet paper.
    Will the digital madness ever end?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

How much money did some guy invest in THIS crutch?

The day I can't set my planes by the usual means,I'll just have to hang it up.

This isn't really new. It's a twist on the gauges for setting (machine)jointer knives,which have been around for quite a few years. I can understand why some semi skilled newbie might want one for his jointer-you strive to get all the knives to the same height. Most do this by feel. But,this is just too much.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-11-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Got this in my email this morning…. I never knew I was doing it wrong…

http://www.igaging.com/page45.html

Makes sense for a jointer, but the email was talking about the tough job of setting handplane blades, and the way they word it, my brain goes to the clumsy folks in infomercials…
    I guess that's for real. I agree that it makes sense for a power jointer, but the way the video goes about how hard it is to set up a hand plane is almost insulting, even for a newbie like me. It's only $18, so it might be a good gag gift for some of the hard-core neanders in here

What's the price???
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    How much money did some guy invest in THIS crutch?

Probably not not a whole lot since it seems to use existing parts with a short throw probe. It may be good for a power jointer, but only a small one, as it seems to not be very wide.

I hate digital stuff - it leaves you flying blind/with little sense as to whether or not the gauge is working properly.

Gauges like these are problematical even for use with most jointers. Precise setting of knife height relative to the outfeed table (within a couple of thou) does matter, but when machine makers lob out stuff claiming that table flatness within 0.009in is OK (which it isn't if you want your machine to joint accurately and predictably without magic spells - only a small fraction of that out in the wrong place can cause major issues. Reduces warranty claims and confuses the punters most of whom tend to blame themselves though) and tables are often significantly worse than that - then where on the table do you place the damn thing to get a consistent measurement???? You're probably better off in that already highly compromised situation to use a stick with a bit of length and the 'carry forward' method or a One Way gauge with a good long foot - it may average out some localised humps.

A bit like a hand plane really - accuracy/flatness matters, but once this is present there's other more intuitive ways of getting to a set up...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 09-11-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    It must be a gag.

If measured shavings are wanted, isn't it more accurate to measure them after they are made? With something a bit more accurate than +/- 0.001"?

Many of us have made shavings in the area of this tool's finest resolution.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    I guess that's for real. I agree that it makes sense for a power jointer, but the way the video goes about how hard it is to set up a hand plane is almost insulting, even for a newbie like me. It's only $18, so it might be a good gag gift for some of the hard-core neanders in here
    Someone send it to George. Triple Dog Dare on that one.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

2 thoughts.

1) Clearly a solution looking for a problem to solve. Totally superfluous.
    2) Like Ian, I don't have much love for digital tools in woodworking. I replaced the digital calipers for an analog dial gauge and I couldn't be happier. It was the only digital thing in my shop.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle