Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tool looking for a problem?

I just added it to my "When I Win The Lottery.............." list.
    David

Blog Entries
    LOOLL How STUPID do people thing other people ARE ?? that is the most insulting dump absolutely immoral thing I've seen this week.

I bet I can set a plane to a fluffy shaving faster than someone can get that thing out of a drawer and snap it onto his plane sole (and that plane will be crying murder..)

In photography we have people we call measurebaters. They are the people who take a photo then load it on the computer and zoom in to 400% and complain the camera is not sharp enough and there is a speck of dust on the sensor and the camera is crap and the photo unusable.

This is the perfect tool for the wood working equivalent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    Someone send it to George. Triple Dog Dare on that one.
    All kidding aside, George- PM me your address and I will order it for you. It would be well worth the $18 to see your "review."

You could sell a few of those at woodworking classes with beginners, I guarantee it. If the instructor says they like to smooth with 2 thousandth shavings and do rough jointing with 5 thousandths, half the people in the class are going to buy that at $18 to try to do exactly what the instructor said.

Of course, the shavings and the cutting depth are not exactly the same because the shaving gets worked and puffs up a little bit bigger than the depth of cut. That'll cause some problems, and the manufacturer will have to release a conversion table for the buyers based on the type of wood.

Blog Entries
    Hee-hee-hee-hee, Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo. And it ain't even April. I'm gonna get one right after my laser guided scissors show up.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Hee-hee-hee-hee, Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo. And it ain't even April. I'm gonna get one right after my laser guided scissors show up.
    the price on the laser guided scissors is not far off the plane adjuster:

http://m.gadgetsandgear.com/straight...Fc1i7AodjWcAbw

All I know is that I'm clearly working WAY too hard to make a living. I need to start working on gadgets.

Any suggestions?

Am I missing something? Could it not be used to set jointer knives?
    But setting plane blades? That's almost insulting.
    Paul

I didn't watch it all but at first I seriously thought some body here threw it together to mess with me/us.

Nope. They look serious. I like the opening comments though. At first I thought I was hearing my echo in here.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Malcom,I'll refrain on the kind offer,in spite of getting a free tool that I could take apart-and use the pieces to make some other tool out of!!

For example,I could use it as a chest hair indicator. To see how high the hairs on my chest stand up.

Sorry,all I can think of this late.

Of course, the shavings and the cutting depth are not exactly the same because the shaving gets worked and puffs up a little bit bigger than the depth of cut. That'll cause some problems, and the manufacturer will have to release a conversion table for the buyers based on the type of wood.
    Table nothing . . . I'm envisioning marketing a $1000 "Type Of Wood Analysis Machine" the TOWAM for short. As opposed to TOEJAM. Which works as well by the way but don't tell any body.
    Have you ever seen the machine they have at auto paint stores ? They can take it out, set it on your car, it takes a look at the amount of fade in the color and what not and prints out a formula that their paint mix guy can mix up to perfectly duplicate the present "color".
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 09-12-2014 at 2:10 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

That's presumably so that when it in turn fades a bit it doesn't match any more...

Since nearly ALL auto finishes these days contain metal particles,even if they get the color right, if they don't get the air pressure just right,the color won't match. Air pressure drives the metal in,more or less. And then,there's humidity,of course.

A friend had repair work done on his wife's car,with re painting. During the day,it looked fine. Near sunset,the repainting took on a distinctive pink hue. That metal flake makes a lot of trouble for the repair men.