Thread: looking for exotic wood on road trip

looking for exotic wood on road trip

I am leaving on a road trip and looking for some suppliers for exotic woods for segmented turning.
    I will be traveling from Canada into Montana and south to Las Vegas then to San Francisco and then back north along the west cost through the red woods. I am not sure which highways we are taking but some of your suggestion may determine that. Exotic wood is limited in my area and very expensive
    Thanks in advance
    Al

http://www.tehwoods.com
    I haven't been here for several years.The owner Mitch had lots of stuff for turners,and big pieces for furniture.This place is north of San Diego so not sure if it's in your path.

Al,

Peterman Lumber is the best source I've found so far in Las Vegas, but of course that's pretty much because it's the only source I've found so far! You will likely have better luck in the SF area, I used to frequent MacBeath up in Berkeley when I was meeting with clients up there, but look at their web site, there are 2 other locations around SF that might be better for you. I'll also second TEH (Andrew's post above), but that's in Carlsbad - a bit of a drive south even from LA, so probably out of your path...?

When you get close to Las Vegas, drop me a PM! Maybe we can meet up for lunch or a beer or something.

Regards,

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Crosscut Hardwoods in Portland, OR was pretty amazing when I lived there 15 years ago. Woodcrafters (not the woodcraft chain store) was also a favorite of min - I could loose a lot of time and money in that store! Happy travels!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

A Craigslist search of exotic hardwood will pull up a few people in the bay area that have some - pricing ranges from high to mid range
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain