Thread: 45 Degree Edge on 1/8" x 3/4" Aluminum Barstock

45 Degree Edge on 1/8" x 3/4" Aluminum Barstock

I'm faced with the task of milling one edge of two 21" long pieces of 1/8" x 3/4" 6061 aluminum barstock to 45 degrees. The pieces will be used to hold down the edges of a sheet of translucent diffuser in front some T5 fluorescent strip light fixtures set into one corner of our master bath. They will eventually be screwed into hardwood, so I can screw them to a board to make handling easier.

I have mostly woodworking tools. I have a couple of simple steel 1/4" shank 1/2 in. x 90 deg. V-Groove router bits. If I mounted one of these on my router talbe, would it work if I only removed 1/16" of material per pass?

I am reluctant to use the 1/2" shank 2.25" piloted carbide chamfering bit I used to edge the hardwood. I tried cutting aluminum with a carbide table saw blade once and quickly saw how that chipped away at the teeth.

Is there another approach I should consider?

thanks,

John

6061 aluminum is not hard to machine. I have had good results with cutting thick pieces on bandsaw and tablesaw (carbide tipped blade), thin stock can chatter and cause problems. The 1/8" x 3/4" size could be a problem but mounting it to a board should work (use plenty of screws). I would prefer carbide router bits to HSS and the 1/2" shank is a plus. Wear safety goggles and do not be timid about feeding the stock. Clean-up will be a pain as the chips go everywhere.

Table saw is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by John Baum View Post
    I'm faced with the task of milling one edge of two 21" long pieces of 1/8" x 3/4" 6061 aluminum barstock to 45 degrees. The pieces will be used to hold down the edges of a sheet of translucent diffuser in front some T5 fluorescent strip light fixtures set into one corner of our master bath. They will eventually be screwed into hardwood, so I can screw them to a board to make handling easier.

I have mostly woodworking tools. I have a couple of simple steel 1/4" shank 1/2 in. x 90 deg. V-Groove router bits. If I mounted one of these on my router talbe, would it work if I only removed 1/16" of material per pass?

I am reluctant to use the 1/2" shank 2.25" piloted carbide chamfering bit I used to edge the hardwood. I tried cutting aluminum with a carbide table saw blade once and quickly saw how that chipped away at the teeth.

Is there another approach I should consider?

thanks,

John

I spent a number of years working as a metalsmith and introduced the table saw to the guys in the shop for cutting nonferrous and never had a problem with teeth. A negative hook blade used on miter saws and radial arm saws is the correct. Around 60 teeth. Never use a junk blade. I used a good blade and cut miles of brass, aluminum and zinc. A face shield is mandatory as the chips are warm and not hot. No chance of starting a fire either.

A router table and 45° chamfer bit will also do the job.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney