Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square jaw cabinet clamp racks...whats the best storage solution?

Question Square jaw cabinet clamp racks...whats the best storage solution?

I just got a few more cabinet clamps, added some 36" jorgensons, and I discovered two things:

1) My home made mobile clamp rack is now full.

2) My home made mobile clamp rack is not good. In fact....it sucks. Bad casters, whole thing cobbled together on the fly out of found parts on the fly, roughly resembling those rolling bessey racks. Very roughly. But hey..its mostly made of wood! Its just awful.

So I'm looking for a creative solution to store 15-20 cabinet clamps, doesn't have to be mobile, at some point that made sense to me but not so much anymore, could be though, does have to be as space conservative as possible. I have other clamps accommodated (f style bars, pipes, jorgy I bars, c clamps, etc), but the cabinet clamps all sort of live near the assembly bench now. Its time to give them a more gracious home...please help! Any ideas that work appreciated. Help me retire the rusty scupper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 09-12-2014 at 6:38 AM.

The simplest/easiest storage, what I have, is simply a 3/4" board fastened to a flat wall. The lip at the back of the top jaw can rest on the board and gravity will hold it in place. If you have wall space and don't need your clamps mobile, the wall is a good storage place, especially if you have a small shop since the cart takes up valuable floor space.

Blog Entries
    I ended up here. They mount anywhere along the cleat wall. Rather than make different sizes I made them to fit my Baileys which means they fit K-body, Uni-Klamp and other f-style clamps.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (13).jpgCleat Clamp Rack V2 (15).jpgCleat Clamp Rack V2 (14).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I made simple wall-mount brackets to hang them from...similar to the top of that portable rack in your photo. Easy to make from scrap plywood!

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've just put some EMT on brackets along the wall then the hang the clamps handles over the pipe.

A lot more effort than some of the others, but very compact. I also used it as an exercise in making box joints. I copied a design posted here by Alan Lightstone some years ago, but it has been around a while.

Paul

Clamps-2.jpg

Clamps-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    1) My home made mobile clamp rack is now full.
    actually, if you raise the handle to the top and clamp to the top cleat you have space for 12 more clamps inverted resting on their top jaw.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I recently went through the same search for clamp racks, and found this:
    http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/205/clamprack.pdf
    Woodsmith plans were a great starting point, as they had plans for both pipe and F-clamps. With a look at the designs posted on the forum, I came up with plans to fit the clamps I own or am likely to buy.

Blog Entries
    My clamp storage:
    Attached Images Attached Images

after telling myself I would make shop-made racks for multiple years, I picked up the metal ones from rockler on sale, they are very space efficient and work great

My clamp rack was full also and can only hold 24 clamps and I just bought some more so I need to redo the rack and I came up with this rack. I just finished installing it tonight and for the same wall space, I can have up to 37 clamps now.
    Mike20140915_185628[1].jpg

Peter, my clamp Rack is very similar to yours just a bit bigger and I have multiple rows instead of one. If you add one more horizontal 2x4 below the top one you can easily hang one row of clamps in between the top ones.
    My issue is that my Rack is full AND it is way too heavy too move around (have some 50 or so heavy clamps plus several smaller ones on it).

I'm tight for wall area. This design isn't original, but seemed the best approach in terms of maximising the use of space:

clamping 7-7-14.jpg

Self tapping masonry screws seem to work well when lots of pull out resistance is required - much stronger than plugs...

I'm with Glen. When your clamps are hung like that you use up way less wall space (precious). I make the sides (supports) more triangular out of 2 pieces of scrap plywood attached to the sides of a piece of 2x2 that is affixed to the wall. The triangle is about 12" on top (where the clamps rest). My walls are osb so I can screw the 2x2 directly to the wall.
    Dan

Ian, you are spot on about space efficiency with that type of rack. If I ever had to re-do my setup, I'd likely consider that arrangement for good reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...