Thread: NEW Laguna Bandsaw

NEW Laguna Bandsaw

Well yesterday I finally got my hands on my new Laguna 14-12 bandsaw. It is sweet!

I had stepped away from woodworking for several years limiting myself to household repair projects and a couple of things for the grandkids. Recently, I decided to resume my 50+ year hobby by doing some small turnings and making boxes which I really enjoy. I decided to sell my 3 wheel hobby type bandsaw and my Delta hybrid tablesaw and buy a bandsaw capable of re-sawing materials for my boxes etc.

I did a fair amount of research into 14 inch bandsaws and it didn't take long for the Laguna 14-12 to separate itself from the field in terms of fit and finish as well as features. To be sure it wasn't the low priced tool but the value was clearly apparent. The owner reviews were good and the support from the woodworking stores was unanimous. I also consulted a couple of people here on SMC.

I ended up buying from Woodcraft of St. Louis as they, Dustin, in particular, were most accommodating in setting up the saw and tuning it. Anyway I feel like a kid at Christmas and I'll be spending the weekend playing with it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Wow! Thats sweet. Good for you Mike!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Congratulations Mike,

Can't wait to see some pictures of the new band saw covered in wood chips

Congratulations! Enjoy your new band saw and happy cutting!

Congrats, Mike!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Recently saw this saw in my local woodcraft. I was much more impressed than I had been from just seeing the photos. Hope you get a lot of good use out of it!

Matt

I, too, just bought the 1412 a couple weeks ago to replace a piece of junk. I got a 1/4 blade and a 3/4 resaw king (totally worth it!).

On the bad side, the table is very low. I had to put it on a riser I built. Changing blades and adjusting the lower guides is more of a pain than I hoped. The manual isn't translated very well. Several screws we're floating loose in the crate. The fence wasn't square to the table in the vertical axis, requiring taking the mount apart and shimming with tape.

On the plus, the guides work very well. Resaw and straight cuts are buttery and smooth, even up to 12" that I've done so far. Plenty of power for me. Dust collection is above average. The ruler scale actually works. Tracking is super easy. The table is much bigger than other 14 inch saws. It was on sale when I bought it. The plug for a light is surprisingly essential.

Overall a big step up, especially because I didn't need to run another 220v circuit.

Huh, I don't see anything!

There used to be a saying here at SMC - "No pics - didn't happen"

Seriously, that is a fine looking bandsaw. Enjoy!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Always had my eye on a larger 17" grizzly bandsaw. Kinda like this Laguna model.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale