Thread: Scratching of hand plane soles

Scratching of hand plane soles

Pardon the typo in the heading which can't be edited - 'scratching'

Having been polishing up the soles of some planes I'm now turned all sensitive about the scratches which experience suggests occur very easily. Especially if you touch anything like ply.

It's not a functional issue, and the answer is probably no - but has anybody found a way to avoid this sort of marking?
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 09-12-2014 at 3:22 PM.

Blog Entries

"Go Advanced"

The only way that comes to mind is using beater planes to prep before using one's nicer planes.

Then again, my planes almost never come in contact with plywood.

jtk

P.S. I think if you want to edit the heading you have to use the 'Go Advanced' function.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-12-2014 at 1:10 PM. Reason: To add Heading
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    but has anybody found a way to avoid this sort of marking?
    I've noticed a lot of the planes I've purchased used didn't have any marks on them because nobody was using them.

That's about the only way.

Guy I worked with long time ago told me to buy used planes but avoid the ones with scratches that had been used to "plane sagging screen doors that had picked up grit". Unlikely you will use a plane for that purpose but planing anything
    that is dirty or has been sanded can scratch them.

Just think of the scratchs as micro corrugations.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    A scratched surface should have less friction than a glass smooth one, as long as the scratches are not burred, i.e. No metal sticking out. The scratches add up to less surface area. I don't polish a plane bottom too much.

Ta guys. Thought that might be the case - i'll get over it in a few days anyway.

Go advanced doesn't seem to be working Jim - the button is dead. I've a feeling it may be because the site is undergoing maintenance - it was slow a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    A scratched surface should have less friction than a glass smooth one, as long as the scratches are not burred, i.e. No metal sticking out. The scratches add up to less surface area. I don't polish a plane bottom too much.
    I really don't want to get into the friction argument, but area does not play a part, according to formulas.

Friction is really determined empirically, that said, unless the scratches are always perfectly inline with your path of motion I would say that scratches increase your coefficient of friction, making a scratched plane present more resistance.

Pedro

In Buttheads voice "Yeah but it'll suck less"
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....