Thread: My Mother retiring after playing piano at church for 68 years

My Mother retiring after playing piano at church for 68 years

She's quite capable of carrying on, but wants to give the young ones "a chance to do something". In this case, the young ones are in their sixties and seventies. She says she'll continue to sing lead Soprano in the Choir until someone else can do it. She's 98.

She sounds like quite a lady.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I hope I'm that lucid and healthy in my 80s!!! Fantastic!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I hope I'm that lucid and healthy in my 80s!!! Fantastic!
    I'd take the 60's, they're fast approaching and my mind is going to carp.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I'd take the 60's, they're fast approaching and my mind is going to carp.
    If it has gone to carp, I'd say you are already in trouble. You would need to rearrange the letters to explain where mine is going.

this mother of your are amazing

Don't cross that lady, Tom...she sounds pretty feisty! (And bravo to her for accepting the responsibility for that important contribution for so many years)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    She's quite capable of carrying on, but wants to give the young ones "a chance to do something". In this case, the young ones are in their sixties and seventies. She says she'll continue to sing lead Soprano in the Choir until someone else can do it. She's 98.
    Wow i hope when i get to 98, a big if, that i am still coherent. When I see my parents i start to wonder.

They had a nice little celebration for her this Sunday. They told her that she wouldn't ever be allowed to retire from baking cakes and pies. When they have meals, she never has anything to take home but empty plates. One of the members is in the hospital with what is probably terminal cancer. When asked what he would like to have, he said a piece of Mrs. King's pecan pie. She carried a pie to church Sunday to send to him, and it was much more important to her that he get that pie than anything else that happened that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    They had a nice little celebration for her this Sunday. They told her that she wouldn't ever be allowed to retire from baking cakes and pies. When they have meals, she never has anything to take home but empty plates. One of the members is in the hospital with what is probably terminal cancer. When asked what he would like to have, he said a piece of Mrs. King's pecan pie. She carried a pie to church Sunday to send to him, and it was much more important to her that he get that pie than anything else that happened that day.
    What a great lady!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What a great lady!

Ditto. Please tell her that a gang of woodworkers you converse with are all wishing her well.

I would reasonably expect that you could tell us other intriguing stories, events from her rich life, etc. She was born in the middle of WW I, and has seen a remarkable change in the world. Has she always live in that part of NC?

Anything you care to share would be wonderful to read.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.