Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cordless impact

Blog Entries
    I have the 18v Lithium combo set by PC and really like it. Batteries are kind of small, but nice and light. My son got me a full size Lithium battery pack for my birthday which is better for larger projects, like a deck.
    NOW you tell me...

Just my 2 cents here. I have used two different impact drivers. I own a "little" Hitachi, and my son has a Makita, both 18V Lion. I'm sorry but I don't know the specific model numbers. Anyway, I love my Hitachi and use it frequently in my woodworking. It seems a little light to be driving a lot of . . . say . . . 3" deck screws or some longish screws into very hard woods, but it does it. And the battery seems to last FOREVER.

One day I was at my son's place doing a little woodworking and used his Makita. It seemed to have a lot more power and I had to be much more careful when driving screws so as not to strip them, screw them way down into the wood, or even break the screws. But if I was driving those long 3" screws the Makita would be a clear choice.

When my son bought me my Hitachi as a present I wondered what the heck was going through his brain. I would never use the *&^%%$& thing. But I tried it and liked it and now I would say that an impact driver is getting very close to being a must-have tool. It will do a lot besides driving screws, but there are also some things that it doesn't do well. Driving small screws like #4's and #6's, and drilling into steel comes to mind.

So from MY experience, I would say get one. But try to get one with power to match what you intend to do with it.

Wayne

Anyone familiar with the Panasonic?

Panasonic makes some great tools, and probably the best batteries in the cordless segment. This is in part because they are, to my knowledge, the only cordless tool maker that makes their own batteries. Their tools have always been highly rated, but have more limited distribution than the Big 4 (Makita, DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee), generally cost a bit more, and are not updated as frequently.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Go Brushless, either Milwaukee Fuel (M18 or M12), DeWalt XR 20Max, or Bosch EC. I have a Bosh 12v Impact driver, and have just recently acquired the DeWalt XR 20Max. The XR is an absolute beast of power, but light and handy, and by all accounts the Milwaukee M18 Fuel is as well. I got the XR because my Bosch 12v wasn't up to some of the jobs I called upon it to do, the XR has easily handled everything thus far I've thrown at it.

The Brushless motored tools are more expensive than the comparable brushed motors, but they ARE more powerful for the same voltage, and will run significantly longer on a charge.
    I resisted getting a cordless impact tool for quite some time.
    I recently bought the Dewalt DCF895D2. Very nice tool but pricey.
    Brushless are a newer development, but you get a lot more battery life. Wouldn't buy one without it based upon the battery life. It's like getting twice the capacity battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    Anyone familiar with the Panasonic?
    I used Pansaonics exclusively and very happily for 6 to 8 years but had to give up on them after I could no longer (find to) purchase a drill or a driver with 2 batteries in a kit.They started packaging everything so that you needed to buy extra tools in order to get a 2nd battery - a real deal breaker for me. Bad marketing !!! I bought the Milwaukee M18 Fuel instead. Very happy.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Milwaukee M-18

I have a medium sized construction business, building wineries. We have tried a number of brands and tools. We have found the Milwaukee M-18 line of tools to consistently give us the best service, always performing without fail.
    The other brands just don't hold up to the demands of getting the job done on time.

I went Milwaukee 18V hammerdrill and impact driver
    got the light too
    I am Happy
    I just bought the 7 1/4 fuel saw
    awesome!
    Carpe Lignum

"carpe lingum" -- thanks for the laugh

I've built countless projects and two houses with a deWalt 18-volt impact driver. I also use it all the time with an adaptor with my socket set to do mechanical kinds of work. If you haven't used one before, you are going to be very very impressed: first thing I did with mine was drive a 6" lag bolt through a 4x4 and back again, no pilot hole, no hesitation. Mind you, the bolt was burning hot by the time it came out!

I imagine you will be happy with any quality brand.

I just bought the new Bosch 18V brushless and used it to build a new screen porch. the larger batter pack lasted pretty much all day and it drove everything from the Azek screws to big lag bolts without complaining. I would say that it is loud (ear protection a good idea) and takes bit drivers with a longer shank than most of the ones I own. It made swapping my snow tires a breeze. It's the only one I've used, so I can't compare. The rest of my cordless tools are Bosch, so I stayed with the interchangeable battery packs. Had bad luck with batteries on the one Dewalt drill I bought, I guess that's not typical given their popularity, but it put me off.

I've been using the Dewalt "20v" line up for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. I based my decision on their continued support and sale of the previous 18v line up. I've worked with all the major brands and haven't really seen any real difference between similarly speced tools. The only real difference was in ergonomics. Some designs allow for smaller grips. I new I would be growing my collection, so I ended up with the Dewalts because they had the broadest lineup at the time.

I bought the Milwaukee M18 compact drill/hammer drill and impact driver kit, with two 2 HC batteries and charger about 2 months ago, a recon kit from CPO, for $193 delivered. They looked and smelled brand new, as did the batteries and charger. I've drilled a bunch of holes up to an inch in 2 x's and 4 x 4's using spade bits and the drill hardly noticed. I drilled a few 1/4"holes in concrete in hammer drill mode - same thing. But it's the impact driver that really impressed me. I've driven 6" GRK structural screws with it into PT lumber and it drove them all the way in with no pre-drilling and started to pull the heads into the wood until I let go of the trigger. I could tell the tool was working to do it but it never faltered. The impact driver is actually shorter nose to back side than my 12V Hitachi. I like that little tool, very light and easy to handle, but not even close to the Milwaukee in capability. The Milwaukee Fuel tools have slightly higher performance but I couldn't justify the price difference for my hobbiest needs. The impact driver will drive 3" screws about all day long on two batteries.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    I keep the old M12 in my car for those dumpster find dissemble needs. Dan
    Line of the day!

I buy at least 4 at a time of whatever brand so I have the same batteries and charger. I had Hilti's, problems with expensive batteries drove me to Makita's, and those served me well for about 5 years and the batteries started failing so I just switched to Milwaukee's.

I have several M18 Fuel brushless models, but as the charger charges both M12 and M18 I bought a couple of M12 tools. They are relatively new so I can not comment on durability but I am impressed with how long a battery lasts. I drove ten pounds of #9 3 1/8" GRK screws the other day on one charge, something the Makita's could never do. They have already taken a couple of falls with no issues, and I feel the ergonomics are good. One little issue, on the M18 impact the reversing switch is a little hard to operate in an odd position when still on the screw, but not a deal breaker.

I like the M12 1/2" hammer drill I picked up, has a lot of power for its size, drilled some 1/2" holes in concrete with it and it did well. Its no Hilti, but for what it costs it shouldn't be. I also have the M12 right angle, not much use yet, but seems like it will be good. Its much better than the 9V Makita it was replacing.

Next, the power grease gun. My tractor will love it........