Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cordless impact

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    Impact driver
    my Makita 18v NiMH cordless drills for over for over ten (14)years looking at replacement batteries and wonder about going impact
    the guys at work use them
    I think they are slower than my makita, but more precise at stopping at your preferred depth...
    Since you want a impact driver then this is what you should check out. http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...less/2653-22ct You should also check out the M12 Fuel Impact driver as it is smaller and has enough power for most jobs. http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2453-22
    Earl

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    First accessory that goes in any vehicle I buy is a four way lug nut wrench
    I helped a lady once with a tire change at her house. I thought I was going to break my 4-way (or part of me--I'm fairly strong and stubborn), so I went to get my compressor and impact wrench. Even with the impact wrench at full power (rated 500 ft-lbs), and the pressure set beyond the recommended, I still had to sit on a couple of the lug nuts for a couple MINUTES with the impact wrench before they finally broke loose.

I got the Bosch 18V impact driver and drill set about 6 months ago. Every time I use it I kick myself for not getting it sooner.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Rumans View Post
    I am a big fan of the Milwaukee M12 and M18 Fuel tools. The M18 Fuel impact has more then enough power to handle about anything you can throw at it. I never use my air impact anymore, since getting the Milwaukee, as I haven't run into anything the Fuel wont handle. The battery's last forever and recharge quickly. It also has a 5 year warranty. http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2763-22
    +1 +1 +1 +1 +1
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Go Brushless, either Milwaukee Fuel (M18 or M12), DeWalt XR 20Max, or Bosch EC. I have a Bosh 12v Impact driver, and have just recently acquired the DeWalt XR 20Max. The XR is an absolute beast of power, but light and handy, and by all accounts the Milwaukee M18 Fuel is as well. I got the XR because my Bosch 12v wasn't up to some of the jobs I called upon it to do, the XR has easily handled everything thus far I've thrown at it.

The Brushless motored tools are more expensive than the comparable brushed motors, but they ARE more powerful for the same voltage, and will run significantly longer on a charge.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

One comment not mentioned so far is the ergonomics of the tool. I've had and used Dewalt impacts and have and use both Milwaukee and Makita models. The Makita is the most comfortable to use with its smaller handle. I've been using it since Makita introduced their Lithium Ion tools still grab their brushless tool whenever it's available. Having said that, the Milwaukee has the most power and runtime if that is a higher priority, but I've never really found that I've needed more of either when using my impacts. I do carry the Milwaukee M12 Fuel in my tool bag and find it will generally handle most jobs. It is a nice compact tool, but still has a larger handle that that on the Makita 18V.

I would stick with the industrial brands though. I've known several people who've gotten some of the cheaper brands of cordless impacts out there. They work well initially, but generally the batteries head south much sooner than that in your quality tools.

Regardless of what you get, I'm sure you'll be happy with the new acquisition.

Clint

You state you want an 18v., have you looked or use one of the new 12v. drivers?

I have the Milwaukee M12 and love the little thing, it will drive lag screws into 4x4 like mad, now I am sure it will not be as powerful as an 18v. but the size is sure nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Spronk View Post
    My families farm has used and severely abused Dewalt impacts for years and have had really good luck with them. We have burned a few motors out but they were getting heavy use in a grain bin for over half a day. I have not personally owned a milwaukee impact but their tools are also very highly recommended (we have a few of their battery grease guns around). Dewalt sells two different impact models. We use both on our farm depending on the job we are doing there is significant torque and weight differences between the two. I posted a link from northern tools for the larger impact.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...xz0aAtyS8P8HAQ
    I can agree with this almost word for word. We also have several milwaukee tools here though, and the dewalts have proven to be a lot tougher under pretty heavy use. Pretty tough to beat the old reliable 18 volt dewalt, although the "prettier" tools can be enticing, I stick with what works. Killed a dewalt once when I dropped it off the roof of the house, from about 20 feet, on concrete.

I have both the M18 and M12 regular and fuels, the advantage of the fuels is they have 2 settings on the M12 and 3 on the M18. This is the feature I really like plus they run forever on a charge. The M18 fuel although heavier is more compact than the M12 fuel. I keep the old M12 in my car for those dumpster find dissemble needs. HD was running a free 4 Amp Hour battery with the purchase of the fuel kit. Dan

I'm a big fan of Bosch. Their 12v system will do 98% of what a woodworker will need. If you want 18v check out their new "Socket Ready" tools.

I have been happy with my Makita 18v brushless impact driver. Once you have owned an impact driver, you will never want to run large screws any other way. Small screws sometimes warrant the more precise touch of a drill or by hand. Get one that has several power modes so you are not trying to drive a 5/8" #6 screw with the same power as a 4" #14.

I have been using my Makita a ton the past two months. Love it. LXT 18V Makita with 3.0ah batteries. Also use my 12V Bosch impact a ton and the 12V screw guns.

If I was buying today I'd probably buy a 20V Dewalt vs the Makita.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The MILWAUKEE Fuels - excellent tools and good customer service. They have an online system for sending in tools for repair that is faster and cheaper than going through a local service shop. I use my 18v fuels every day and they are the best I have owned, even better than my 6 year stint with Panasonics.

Sorry I wrote Bosch in the 1st edition - I had a flat spot this morning
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 09-15-2014 at 4:47 PM. Reason: Milwaukee NOT Bosch
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I think this thread illustrates that they relatively new category of impact driver is fantastic, and we all really like the ones we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Sundberg View Post
    I have been happy with my Makita 18v brushless impact driver. Once you have owned an impact driver, you will never want to run large screws any other way. Small screws sometimes warrant the more precise touch of a drill or by hand. Get one that has several power modes so you are not trying to drive a 5/8" #6 screw with the same power as a 4" #14.
    I can't say I've had any trouble running small screws with my 18V impact. You just have to have a light touch on the trigger and watch the screw. I will say that I was used to holding a drill/driver loosely so that when a screw was tight, my loose grip would allow the driver to swing instead of over-torquing the screw. I never found any use for the torque setting clutches--driving screws into wood results in too wide a variety of torques.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

When looking for a tool to buy I look at what the Pros, that use the tool all day long every day, are using. Sheet metal workers drive in screws and bolts all day long and most use Makita impact drivers for the past 15 years that I know of. I still have some Makitas I bought when I retired in 2000.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214