Thread: My new Metabo melted!

My new Metabo melted!

I recently purchased a Metabo SX E random orbit sander for my turnings. It takes a 6 hole velcro sanding pad, which I don't have, so I used my regular sanding discs. After using it for only a few minutes at 400 grit, the velcro on the intermediate pad that came with the unit melted off. The pad was HOT!. I've power sanded for years with a drill and have never had the pad get hot. I'm assuming that either the unit is bad, or it needs the holes in the sanding disc to help dissipate heat.

Has anybody had a similar experience?

Do I have to use the vacuum attachment in order to keep the unit cool?

I like Vince's sanding discs, but I don't think he carries them with the holes. Any suggestions?

I have no idea, but you could punch holes in the paper yourself.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Eric, I can't imagine generating that much heat with 400 grit paper. I would contact the manufacture to see what they have to say.

Bill, I plan on punching some holes in some sanding discs to see if it gets as hot. Doug, I agree that it shouldn't get that hot.

I think the holes are for a vacuum system that would also pull the dust out. I have a Festool sander that is that way. Vince can make you discs that size. I don't know if he can punch the holes or not. Probably more of an issue with demand. I have thought about having him make me some discs for my Festool sander as that red stuff that is their 'standard' is crap. With the random orbit sander, I can't imagine it getting hot like that unless the bowl was turning at very high speed, and you were armstronging it. With your experience with the angle drills, it doesn't sound like that is a problem.

robo hippy