Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on Dovetail Jig

Help me decide on Dovetail Jig

As with every tool purchase I anticipate it seems like I wrestle to the earth's end with the frustration of decision and this one is not coming any easier. And on the same note I usually come here for advice and help in trying to arrive at what would work best for me. The membershipship of this forum is the best there is and I have the higest respect for the knowledge and friendship of you good folks.

I have one last tool I would like to add to my shop before feeling I have a fairly complete realm of WW tools. That tool is a router dovetail jig. Yes, I know I need to cut a few by hand as well and I will do that and soon. I have a medical condition that fatigues muscles with repetitive motion and so I must budget my physical spending wisely, the condition is know as Myasthenia Gravis if any of you are familiar with it. Mine is under good control, but I still have to be careful and it forces me to rely more on power tools than neander although I wish it were the other way around. Back to the real question.

I would like to do casual dovetails on drawers and possibly a few small boxes and other items as I venture into some "real" projects soon. WW in my case is pure hobby and I anticipate no heavy production use of this machine. I have tried to stay around mid-point in the $ I have invested in my tools and I am very satisified with that level. I have been looking and researching dovetail jigs for some time now and have about decided on the PC4212. I would like to make both half blind and through dovetails on a medimum to small scale. The price is right and it seems to get good reviews from what I have read.

What is the genereal concensous among you in the know. Would this machine work well in my case. Does anyone here have one and if so, how do you like it? I know it is not a D-4 which would be overkill for my needs and ability. I just need a nice, simple and easy to use jig that will make good quality dovetails on a casual basis. Is there a better choice in this price range that I have not explored?

Any help and advice you can offer will be very greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 07-10-2005 at 5:40 AM.

I had a PC jig, not sure if it was the 4212 since I have since sold it, but it would not do through DTs. Perhaps they have made changes to enable this operation. Other than that, it is a good jig within its limits, among those being the ability to get a half tail at the top and bottom since they are set in 1/4-1/2 incriments. I have a D-4, but would certinly consider the Akida as it seems to be easire to set up. For the bucks you may have found the best buy.

Bob, I have been watching post on the same subject as I am also interested. I do not have any dovetail experience but have seen some good reports on the PC 4212 as a midprice alternative. You may have seen it but the April issue of Workbench magazine had a review on the unit and they sounded positive. It seem to me that the cost of the 4212 is low enough that a guy could use it untill he found out that he needed a more versitile unit. Then just keep it for simpler projects and purchase a D4 or Akida for the more complicated projects. Or just get rid of it if it comes to that. I have been looking at a video (Mastering Your Bandsaw) showing how to cut them on a bandsaw. It does not look too complicated as long as you are willing to take the time, including practice, to be very accurate. I think that the combination of a bandsaw and the PC 4212 would last a fellow a good while as long as he is not doing production work. However, as one guy said to one of my post, just remember what you paid for this advice. A very interested bystander. Allen

Hi Bob,

I understand your delima. When I set out to research a dovetail jig it took me forever to finally come up with a decision. I decided on the Keller dovetail jig and I am more then pleased with its simplicity, performance, and value. I love that I do not have to make any practice cuts and the joints come out great. I just finished a casket that I made for an elderly client and it had 80 dovetails. With the Keller I had it done in no time and the joinery looks fantastic. (pictures of the finished casket soon to come) I did look really hard at the D4 and the Akeda. They are both great jigs and have a very loyal following. Hope this helps.

Best of luck and if I can help anymore do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the input guys. I have looked at the Keller,Akeda and others and like what I hear also. They both boast ease of use and are certainly within the price range I prefer to stay within. I guess the drawback that stood out to me was the fact that many names did not do both styles of dovetails, but as Allen was so kind to point out, the bandsaw is a great way to get around that.

I don't know if anyone has reviewed the videos on the PC4212, but they sure make it look easy as well as versatile. Here is the link if you would like to view them.

http://www.porter-cable.com/jigs/

You have given me even more to think about That is not a good thing
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 07-12-2005 at 8:41 PM.

just a thought.

I have a dove tail jig and never use it. Unless you are doing kitchens and pieces with tons of DT, I find it easier to simply cut them by hand, and a lot less riskey.
    enjoy
    lou

Thanks for the link to the PC dovetail videos. I had seen them before but was having a hard time finding them again. It is difficult for me to see why the other jigs are worth an extra $250 or so. May be some one can enlighten me. Allen

Hey Bob, Check this out: http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/reviews.htm

There are some other links in the simlar threads below "Dovetail Jig".
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 07-10-2005 at 9:13 AM.

AKEDA

The best of them all !
    MARK

Bob, if you have more time than money, Woodsmith mag has plans for one that works quite well. Don't ask me the # of the issue it's been a long time though.

I made that according to their specks and have been using it ever since. I've used it for most every drawer I've made. It's only good for half blind dovetails though but like Lou, if your not in a big hurry there's nothing like spending time with a chisel on the bench. I hand cut all my large projects.

It does take time but like most everything, the more it's done the more efficient one becomes.

Allen,

Thanks for the link on reviews albiet more material for indecision. I don't know why I am having such a hard time with tool purchases lately. Guess I need to close my eyes and just point to one I am still leaning toward the PC4212.... sure looks like bang for the $ for a casual user.

Still open for any other suggestions and input either for or against. What am I missing?

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    Thanks for the input guys. I have looked at the Keller and the Akida and like what I hear also. They both boast ease of use and are certainly within the price range I prefer to stay within. I guess the drawback that stood out to me was the fact that they did not do through dovetails,
    Hi again Bob,

The Keller actually does do through dovetails. Just FYI

Robby,

Thanks for the info. I do like the Keller, but for some reason I was under the impression it did one but not the other. I'll go back and research the Keller further as it certainly has an excellent reputation and looks the easiest of all to use.

Thanks again Robby.

Robby,

I went back and researched the Keller issue just now and I see that it does do the through dovetails and not the half blind. One thing I did see that I missed before was the ability to flip the jig and use it on the router table for making through dovetails. That is a nice feature in my opinion and I'm not sure I saw that capability in the PC4212.

In looking at the reviews on dovetail jigs, it is mentioned that no one jig does it all and there is no "best" jig for all jobs. I guess this is what bugs me in trying to come to terms in trade offs for which jig would serve my all around needs over time. Perhaps I need to revisit what I believe to be my future "needs" before pulling this particular trigger.

Thanks so much for the kind and helpful advice from everyone.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 07-10-2005 at 7:42 PM.

I think I have that issue of Woodsmith. Get in touch if you want me to look for it.
    18th century nut --- Carl

I have the 12" PC and love it. It does all I want and the set is quite easy. t dont do through DT but for ddrawers and boxes ect ,its the bomb

Well Bob,

What did you decide to do? I had decided to look into the Akeda after looking at the compairson link so I went to the Woodcraft web site and guess what - it is on sale for $259.99 (reg $329 or so they say). I though to myself "not too bad of a deal" until I looked a little closer. It appears that that is only the jig. To do anything with it you have to spend another $249.99 for the accessory kit but they are going to give you a break and let you buy both for $499,99. Then to add insult to injury you have to spend another $19.99 for instructions on how to use the thing.

May be it is just me but that seems like a lot of money for what you get. I realize that the D4 is just as much so no bargain there either. The Keller is much cheaper untill you look at the cost of their bits. Makes the PC 4212 seem like a better deal but then you are really limited in what you can do. Hand cut - slow and takes a lot of expertise. Bandsaw or bandsaw/tablesaw combination - may be but somewhat slow and tedious and requires careful attention to detail not to mention the practice to get perfect joints. Home made jigs? On and on.

What's my answer? The way I see it is spend a bundle or do with less. Well at least that is an answer - not a good solution but still an answer.

Can anyone come up with something better?

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 07-11-2005 at 9:13 PM.