Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The new LV planes

The new LV planes

Let's start a new thread instead of burying it at the end of another one.

To start, I am impressed. A complete new line of planes. Bevel down WITH chipbreaker! In light of my recent bit of research it won't be a surprise that I like that. And a 55 degree frog for those people who hate the chipbreaker with a deep and lasting hate. The price is very reasonable, just a little over the bevel up planes, so there is now really no reason to continue that line of planes anymore

There are some points of critique though and questions. Just a first impression of course.
    -I don't see a 50 degree frog. I think that would be more usefull then a 55 degree one. I really like my 49 degree Ullmia smoother. It makes setting the chipbreaker a bit more forgiving without adding a whole lot resistance.
    - The instructions say to position the chipbreaker at 1/64" or 0.5mm. That's not helpfull. We know that you won't get too much help from the chipbreaker at that point, it merely helps to limit the amount of tearout. It's better to write a number in the manual that really does something spectaculair, like 1/128" or less.
    - I see many little bits and pieces and wonder how complex it is?
    - Can you set the chipbreaker outside of the plane so you can actually see what you are doing? The manual suggest that you set it inside the plane.
    - A 40 degree frog for shooting? Hmmm, anyone going to switch frogs for shooting? Or just sharpen the blade and get on with work.

Please link to scientific studies that prove setting your cap iron 1/128" from the leading edge of the iron is significantly better than setting it at 1/64", and then upload a video demonstrating how to set the cap iron perfectly parallel and exactly 1/128" from the edge of the iron.

You would not switch frogs to shoot; you would have one plane for smoothing and one for shooting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    Frogs are available at any angle from 40 to 60 in 0.5 degree increments! when buying a new plane a custom frog is like 10$ extra or something (I checked but don't remember the exact amount). that is AMAZING service if you ask me.

setting the chipbreaker inside the plane? that sounds awkward, but maybe they are on to something?

you can't fault them for offering a 40degree frog, even if it's more marketing than practical.

My only "issue" with them is as I always have with LV, I'm not a huge fan of the futuristic look. but these are ok.

I'm intrigued by the planes enough that I will be putting one on my "Santa" list later this year (fully specced out). But Matthew, the look is a throwback look, with the planes reminding me of the Stanley Gage (iron soles) of years past.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Just did a search for "Stanley Gage", you are right, casting shape is similar. I actually like the casting shape more than the previous Veritas planes, non the less all the other details tie together to create a modern look that is far cry from the classic elegant look that I prefer. but the planes are nice IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Please link to scientific studies that prove setting your cap iron 1/128" from the leading edge of the iron is significantly better than setting it at 1/64", and then upload a video demonstrating how to set the cap iron perfectly parallel and exactly 1/128" from the edge of the iron.

You would not switch frogs to shoot; you would have one plane for smoothing and one for shooting.
    Hi Moses,

The most scientific video is from prof. Kato and Kawai: http://vimeo.com/41372857

A study I did to the same issue: http://planetuning.infillplane.com/h...s_van_der.html

A video from me posted in 2012. It takes me more time to get the thing in view then setting it in the first place. I didn't measure but it is in the 1/128" ballpark:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSjpzta0FuY

And if you want to know more about the relevance of the chipbreaker set very close to the edge, why not read my last article?
    http://planetuning.infillplane.com/h...pbreakers.html

Any more questions?

The new #4 = 4 lbs 5 oz. That's 1.94 kg.

The old Stanley #4's are 1.7 kg. My wooden smoother is 0.8 kg. These planes seem to get heavier all the time!
    My old infill is 2.2 kg. That's really a heavy sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    … how to set the cap iron perfectly parallel and exactly 1/128" from the edge of the iron…
    This post by Chris Schwarz, via Rhett Fulkerson, shows you an easy way to get exact settings of the CB. It's completely unnecessary for normal use, but it might be helpful for someone who has no idea what .008 (or whatever) looks like.

Kees, I like 50° with a CB too; I've made all my woodies that way for some time.

Sorry for the brief hijack folks.

I'd imagine the 50 degree frog is left out because it's not very effective *without* using the cap iron.

I'd be interested in hearing why they chose to include a cap iron.

It is gratifying to see that LY has apparently been inspired(is that the word? Perhaps influenced) to introduce new BD planes. I'll warrant it is in no small degree due to discussions here led by David,Kees,Warren,and the Japanese video.

So why would I buy a LV plane when LN has a similar range of bevel down planes with interchangeable frogs, comparable prices, and (in my opinion) superior esthetics? Not for the slanted tote or the moveable toe.

Another trick to set the capiron quick and easy, but not as precise. Set the blade on a piece of softwood. Press down and then push the capiron forward. Like in this short video:

And the result is 0.13 mm:
    Setcapiron.jpg

Or, you use a chip breaker that holds it shape and has a screw that is easy to tighten with two fingers, which applies just enough tension to adjust the fit incrementally. I wrote about this. Remember?

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...ipbreaker.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yes I remember that thread, got a bit heated in the end. I still don't have any troubles with my Stanley breakers. They don't slide when tightening the screw. But I can understand when your eyes aren't so young anymore, that a trick like this is helpfull.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    setting the chipbreaker inside the plane? that sounds awkward, but maybe they are on to something?
    There is no frog adjustment so they had to give us something with which we can fiddle. It does seem a bit fiddly to me. With an adjustable mouth, who needs an adjustable frog?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    you can't fault them for offering a 40degree frog, even if it's more marketing than practical.
    If you use a low angle bevel up plane with a 25º grind you are at 37º. 40º gives a good relief clearance for most blade sharpening practices.

Nice innovations but unlikely I will come into the need or money to purchase one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)