Thread: A new twist on an old pondering

A new twist on an old pondering

So we've all heard the question of what tools would you take to a desert island... How bout, what tools would you take to an island (in this case the UK) if all you were allowed was 30kg (66lbs) of checked baggage. The rules are you need to also carry clothing, foot wear, coat and toiletries. Basically the stuff we all need to travel in relative comfort.

So here's my haul: All told everything weighed in at 30.5kg while the tools made up 26 of that. The rest was made up of: 3 pairs of jeans (one for working), pair of shorts, a good outfit and shoes (for interviews), a few days worth of t shirts, socks and gaunch, heavy leather coat, pair of runners, toiletries, a 6 month supply of prescription drugs and a few other miscellaneous items. Oh ya, and my Tilly hat, it's been everywhere I have in the world and even though I don't like wearing hats much it comes with me everywhere (weird sentimentality type stuff)

There's a few things that I could have left out but they had great sentimentality. The tool belt, knee pads and respirator I've had since I was 19 (30 years) so I couldn't leave them out of this little adventure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 09-14-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Blog Entries
    I think I would answer differently if the question was about tools for the woodworking I do vs home maintenance and repair.

For woodworking: 3 planes (LA adj mouth block plane, LN 4-1/2, and bailey #5), two japanese saws, chisel roll with 1/8" to 1" chisels & 1 fishtail, square (4" machinist), 6" rule and story stick tape measure, rasp & spokeshave, sharpening waterstones and flattener, brace & bits, cord to use as clamps, and rawhide leather mallet.

If I took the more general approach: two good screwdrivers, two crescent wrenches, hammer, kneepads, drill and bits, tape measure, level, slip jaw waterpump pliers, hand saw, file, chisel, sanding block, cold chisel, 1/2" wood chisel, combination square with rule, prybar, multi-meter, needle nose pliers, dykes, utility knife, and block plane.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 09-14-2014 at 1:25 PM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

3. make sure your dial caliper (and any other measuring tools) reads in metric and inches. don't take any chisels or planes. english swap meets (boot fairs) are full of vintage sheffield tools for cheap. do take things that are worth more there than here- arkansas stones for example. you will likely get a better set of answers to this question over on http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk

First and foremost, welcome back to the forum Brian! I havent seen a post from you since you relocated. I hope all is well for you? Move uneventful?

For hobby work: Id take my MF #9 (grandfathers), my Stanley #2 (love that little guy), my LN block plane, my claw hammer (dads). Most of the rest I could replace.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If I was going to the UK, I probably wouldn't take any tools. There are so many tools over there that I would buy, that I would have to worry about how to get them back over here. If I had to take tools from here at those limits, I wouldn't take that many chisels.

To the UK,just take a change of clothes,and the rest in cash money.

For a desert island,I assume you are starting from scratch,an axe,a hatchet,an adze head,a froe,a smooth plane,a set of stout chisels,stones,crosscut and rip saws,a hat,umbrella(golfer size),change of underware,sneakers,shirt,pants,measuring tape.I assume this is a WARM climate ,being a desert island,so no coat. A spade,brace and bits.

I might revise this list after thinking more about it. But,this should allow you to build shelter and possibly a boat.

George hit the nail on its head with his question , is this island warm or cold ?

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    don't take any chisels or planes. english swap meets (boot fairs) are full of vintage sheffield tools for cheap. do take things that are worth more there than here- arkansas stones for example. you will likely get a better set of answers to this question over on http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk
    Now that I'm here you got that one right. The number of chisels I've seen selling for 50p to a pound is amazing. It's almost as if they can't give away the non-collectable ones.

I've been haunting ukworkshop, it's good, but the creek is still the one I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    First and foremost, welcome back to the forum Brian! I haven't seen a post from you since you relocated. I hope all is well for you? Move uneventful?

For hobby work: Id take my MF #9 (grandfathers), my Stanley #2 (love that little guy), my LN block plane, my claw hammer (dads). Most of the rest I could replace.

Fred
    Thx Mate! I think I've chirped in a couple times since the move, but been pretty low key. The move was great it was like stepping into endless opportunities, I put out 12 resumes and got 5 job offers. I'm working in what I've always dreamed of working in since my early teens - heritage building restoration. Some of the sites I work on are jaw dropping. Coming from North America and Australia you just don't get to work on 400 year old buildings where well known historical figures once lived. And I'm on the door step of Europe, Paris for the weekend in 3 weeks of all things! My only regret is not coming here much sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    If I was going to the UK, I probably wouldn't take any tools. There are so many tools over there that I would buy, that I would have to worry about how to get them back over here. If I had to take tools from here at those limits, I wouldn't take that many chisels.
    There are certainly a lot of tools here. However, any modern tool such as veritas are an absolute rip off, I'm guessing LN are even worse. When I was in Australia the prices were pretty bad but I could circumvent that by ordering from Canada, not here though. My brother-in-law is coming over in 3 weeks and I was real temped to ask him to wonder over to Lee Valley and grab me a few kg of planes to put in his luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    To the UK,just take a change of clothes,and the rest in cash money.
    In hind site that's about right.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    George hit the nail on its head with his question , is this island warm or cold ?
    It's the UK - it's always cold LOL. But the people are very warm. You walk into a pub and most say "ey up" like they mean it.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!