Thread: PDF files for learning about letterforms

PDF files for learning about letterforms

Ages ago, I worked up a pair of .pdfs which may be of interest to people who aren't formally trained in graphic design / typography.

They're in my on-line portfolio: http://mysite.verizon.net/william_fr...portfolio.html

Direct links:

http://mysite.verizon.net/william_fr...erminology.pdf --- A tabloid-sized broadside (or poster) which shows and defines various typographic terms and provides references for many of them. Layout was done in Altsys Virtuoso in NeXTstep on a NeXT Cube using the first Adobe Original font, Adobe Garamond.

http://mysite.verizon.net/william_fr...type-sheet.pdf --- A small booklet set in TeX (and featured in The TeX Showcase) as a companion piece to the above. A single-sheet version for printing, folding and ``binding'' --- to ``bind'' the booklet, after printing fold in half (top-to-bottom), unfold, fold in half lengthwise, then fold in half and open, and fold each resulting panel in half, unfold and restore to the original fold, then cut along the inner half of the lengthwise fold, open and fold lengthwise. Then all of the pages should be folded within the front and back covers and voila! a single signature booklet.

They used to be linked from the Wikipedia article on Typography, before someone decided that there could be nothing good on AOL's homepages to link to and they were removed.

Anyone have any other good references?

Blog Entries
    That's somewhat... painful... to read. You split everything into multiple columns, but then the text flows from one column into the next with no form. I couldn't even begin to read the text involved as the overall form was hurting my eyes form the beginning.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Yeah, the broadside was actually intended to be awkward to read --- looks neat when printed out and hung on a wall --- the intent was to show how the readability of identically set text (the broadside vs. the small, intimate booklet) varied based on the context.

I've been meaning to make a booklet w/ all the content integrated into one, but haven't had occasion for it.