Thread: Grizzly Tool Question

Grizzly Tool Question

Forgive me if this has been asked already. I am getting ready to buy a slightly used jointer and it got me thinking. What in the world is the difference in a Polar Bear line and the "reg" line.

I am looking at theG0656P 8" x 72" Jointer 3 HP w/ Mobile Base, Polar Bear Series and it is $20 cheaper than the G0656 8" x 72" Jointer with Mobile Base. Maybe its the paint (I think I've heard that joke before) Really excited to get the new tool. I have been using a 40 yr old craftsman 6 in jointer that finally crapped out. Thank goodness.

I am buying for $575 for those that have one. I am picking up and driving it home so it saves me a bunch on delivery as well. If bought new, close to $1000 delivered to home.

Not sure about the white or green question but if tool looks good think gloat worthy deal.

Blog Entries
    I believe the answer in previous discussions is that the only difference is the paint.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like the white color scheme better. Think there is some tiny difference on the G0453p planer. Not that it hurts anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Forgive me if this has been asked already. I am getting ready to buy a slightly used jointer and it got me thinking. What in the world is the difference in a Polar Bear line and the "reg" line.

I am looking at theG0656P 8" x 72" Jointer 3 HP w/ Mobile Base, Polar Bear Series and it is $20 cheaper than the G0656 8" x 72" Jointer with Mobile Base. Maybe its the paint (I think I've heard that joke before) Really excited to get the new tool. I have been using a 40 yr old craftsman 6 in jointer that finally crapped out. Thank goodness.

I am buying for $575 for those that have one. I am picking up and driving it home so it saves me a bunch on delivery as well. If bought new, close to $1000 delivered to home.
    Are you buying it used? Looks like the new ones are going for $875 + delivery.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Paint.
    Kinda like the Shop Fox, Grizz., and Polar Bear deal.
    There might be some spec. differences in some machines.
    Now there's the anniversary edition available for some units.
    Pick a color and run with it.
    Sounds like you have a good deal on your hands.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I believe (but have not confirmed) that use of the Polar bear name originated when the Canadian (busybee) and American (Grizzly) companies talked
    about merging product lines consequent to the shop fox deal. I don't know why the
    price difference persists - on paper the products look pretty much identical.

Some of the Polar Bear tools are more "basic". I have a Polar Bear band saw. It has a standard size table, rather than the deluxe size. It has steel trunions, not cast iron, and aluminum wheels, not cast iron.

Some tools don't seem to have much difference, unless it's in the fit and finish quality control.

John