Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am so Jealous of a lot of you

Scott, in addition to my other reply to your question, I realised that maybe 10 years ago I changed from Imperial to metric in the shop.

It was a productivity booster for a couple of reasons.

- when I make furniture I make things 20mm thick instead of 3/4", or 50mm instead of 2". It gets rid of fractions, which can be a real time waster when you're trying to design 13 slats on a Morris chair, and have them equally spaced.

- My machinery has metric graduations and imperial ( at least the saw crosscut and rip scales) however the planer is digital metric only.

- the other thing I did was learn enough of the 32mm cabinet system to be able to design simple cabinets rapidly with no mistakes or real calculations required. Having a standards based process increases efficiency and reduces errors.

Regards, Rod.

Rod,
    If he makes all the changes you've suggested, he'll be back working in the shop after the five years it takes him to get all new equipment and convert everything to metric!

;-)

Life is the choices we make. It sounds like you are grateful for and like (love?) your job but perhaps that is where a change might be made? Priorities...it is all about priorities.

I wouldn't be happy with a life of constant travel away from my family and my home and my shop but that is me.

Where there is a will, there is a way!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Scott,jump in the car and fly up here?We used to go to a bow shoot in Paducah....for the day.

Just sayin,maybe take wifey to some place cool?If it happens to have "stuff" you're interested in,all's good.

When I first started out I had a white collar job which required travel in my province, over night stuff. I worked 40 hours plus a week and spent another 40 in my shop, I burnt the candle at both ends for 6 years. No kids just a wife and cat. Then I made woodworking my job, I worked 60 hours a week. Now I am basically a hobbiest and I woodwork 10 hours a week. Now that I have the best shop I will ever own, I spend the least time in my shop. This will change.

I really did tear into woodworking hardcore for the first 15 years and it has taken the edge off of lusting for shop hours. Now I head into the shop and enjoy what it has to offer, hours here, hours there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    If I had my way, I would put a bed in the shop and go there on Friday nights and come back out on Sunday eve. Only problem is the wife doesn't have the same urge.

Don't get me wrong, my wife is the best .... I could come home with a new "whatever machine" and she would not only not say a word about the expense, but, help me carry it and set it up.
    It sounds to me like your wife is a gem. Perhaps she realizes, with your limited time at home, you cherish your time in the shop and she's willing to give you more time than you think. Certainly, after being on her own all week she appreciates personal time with you, but maybe you could divide up the time a little differently and she'd go for it. I certainly don't know, but it's possible.

Perhaps I have a different philosophy about woodworking than some. Of course, I can appreciate a well organized shop so I'm not wasting frustrating time looking for what I need, but I find satisfaction and challenge in the woodworking and not necessarily at how many projects I can turn out. No one gets all the time they want for a hobby or activity they love. Maybe a key is to fully appreciate the time we get.

What does your wife like to do? is there some WW projects you can do while in the same room, or within ear shot/sight? For me, I have a wife that when home I spend time with her. I do wood carving, leather work, polishing, sharpening, or artsy fartsy stuff in the room with her as she watches TV "she just wants me in the same room".
    When she is away and I have the kids to take care of, I leave the garage door open and they play in the front while I work in my shop on the weekends and after work on the weekdays. I leave the actual power tool cutting for when they are further away. Either way, as many others have stated you have to be able to easily put down any project on a seconds notice. Leave any glue ups or finishes for when everyone else is asleep.

When I used to travel for work I would always have a sketch book and some graph paper with me and would work on my designs/ideas if I wasn't prepping for a meeting.
    I still have about 60 projects planned out that I haven't gotten to yet.

edit: oh, and watch a lot of youtube ww videos. I used to live vicariously through others. now that i'm able to do it more, I watch less videos.
    Last edited by Mike Olson; 09-17-2014 at 2:09 PM.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Rod,
    If he makes all the changes you've suggested, he'll be back working in the shop after the five years it takes him to get all new equipment and convert everything to metric!

;-)
    LOL...................But think of how productive he'll be

I found the solution. I retired.
    Even still, I find I don't have time for my small and crowded shop with all the other stuff I have found to do.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

It's a hobby. Requires analytical skills, the ability to focus on a task, learning to work with your hands, and - God bless us each and every one - problem solving skills [props to Dickens]. There is something tangible to show for your time, which - to me - is more valuable than a little piece of paper stuffed in a drawer that shows you made par on that impossible par-5 once in your life. [no argument with golfers - that's my personal take on it].

You will find that, regardless of your profession, other distractions, etc., you get in a zone and are completely removed from those other issues and stresses. Detox, as it were.

As Sir Winston famously said: "A change is as good as a rest".
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.