Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen's new website- I finally found the tools on it.

Blog Entries

Lie-Nielsen's new website- I finally found the tools on it.

I thought I'd help Lie-Nielsen out here- If you are trying to figure out how to actually see what they sell, I finally found how to do it. There is a tiny little icon almost hidden in the upper right corner next to the shopping cart. It is three little lines as the icon. That brings up a drop-down where you can click on tool categories similar to the old site... the newer old site, not the older old site.

The search brings up multiples of the same tool and random tools not related to the search. The banner ad showed a moulding plane video that very much interested me, but clicking it got me nowhere. I do intend to notify them in the morning of the issues, as the bar at top says, and I really hope they get things ironed out. My birthday is next week, and my wife needs it to be as easy as possible to buy me tools!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I thought I'd help Lie-Nielsen out here- If you are trying to figure out how to actually see what they sell, I finally found how to do it. There is a tiny little icon almost hidden in the upper right corner next to the shopping cart. It is three little lines as the icon. That brings up a drop-down where you can click on tool categories similar to the old site... the newer old site, not the older old site.

The search brings up multiples of the same tool and random tools not related to the search. The banner ad showed a molding plane video that very much interested me, but clicking it got me nowhere. I do intend to notify them in the morning of the issues, as the bar at top says, and I really hope they get things ironed out. My birthday is next week, and my wife needs it to be as easy as possible to buy me tools!
    I don't see the the icon by the shopping cart that you are mentioning above. Also unclear is how much they have dropped from their offerings; for example, I see no O-1 blades for any tool. The drop-downs require very precise use of the mouse, or they disappear easily. It appears to be a work still in progress though. I was disappointed that there seems to be nothing new at this time.

Blog Entries
    Maybe most of my fondness for the old site before the two (or was it three) recent changes was it was familiar and easy to find what ever was on my mind at the time.

It also seems there was a deeper level of information on most of the tools.

Maybe the major problem is web designers live to change things. They would all be unemployed if they couldn't convince clients they need to update everything.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I just went to their web site and had a very nice experience. There were no problems navigating to the hand planes - I did not go to any of the other pages. There is a warning bar at the top of the home page stating that they are working on the site and there could be problems. There was a phone number to report issues.

Plus 1 with Mr. Gallaher. Went to the site. Found the hand planes no problem but was looking for a bronze #4 and Kristen ( in site chat box gave me immediate help ) was working away
    on their site.

I guess site changes are like furniture. It's the finishing the finish that can take a pretty good bit of the project and not just the construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    ...for example, I see no O-1 blades for any tool.
    From a recent visit, I was told they are dropping O-1 for in house Cryo A2.

I'm a bit baffled on the recent site changes, especially not using a test site to ensure their changes are functioning before pushing live. Big mistake.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

the 3 bars thing is because your screen is to narrow most likely. It looks like they are switching their site over to a responsive design to better handle touch devises.
    -Dan

You may have found the tools but try placing an order. Over a week ago I ordered a rasp via the phone because I couldn't find it on the site. The person who answered the phone found me in their system. She knew my name, address and phone number and while placing the order I asked for 3 day shipping. She then put me on hold while running my card and I was told to expect the tool within 5 business days. Shortly there after I received and email indicating the tool would be shipped and then nothing. Today I checked my bank account, THE CHARGE WAS NEVER RUN. One might think that if I was willing to pay extra for fast shipping I might really want the tool and since they had my name and phone number they might have called to say something went wrong. So for the job I was expecting to use the rasp for on Wednesday I'm going to be SOL, I'm so happy….

Blog Entries
    I am viewing on iPad. It was the weekend and live chat wasn't working. Good to know that on a desktop/laptop it works because I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't put a radio button that says "click here to see our tools" or something.

Keith M., I have never had a problem with service. In fact, I usually end up chatting with the person taking the order, and it always arrives fast.

James C., I wonder if O1 just wasn't selling. It kind of gets a bad rap these days. I kind of prefer it for spokeshaves and paring chisels.

I agree, the site is terrible. It's clunky, the menus come and go. The help chat constantly pops up, up down up down.... Navigation is not intuitive. Info on the products is not as extensive as the old site. Checkout is inaccurate, descriptions don't match what you ordered. Billing is a mess. Got billed twice for a single order, and neither amount matched what I was expecting. They were preauths, but amounts were way out of wack... That said, LN customer support is AAA. It is just that their web designer has their head up their 4th point of contact...
    “Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway”
    - John Wayne (1907-1979)

I recently phoned an order in to LN and inquired about 0-1 bevel edge chisels since I could not find them on the website any longer. After checking, they said they still had some 0-1 stock on hand. fortunately, what I wanted was available. I was informed that few people were ordering 0-1 in favor of A2 and they were sidelining the 0-1 so to speak. I was also told, however, that I could still order 0-1 items not currently in stock but it would be about a 6-month wait. I want them to figure out that while some will be happy with A2, there are still many of us, particularly in certain tool patterns (for me its their 0-1 bevel edge chisels), will prefer 0-1. LN (if you happen upon this), its good to have options please!

Gotta agree with the critics on their site. Using iPad is not much fun on this site. Someone really dropped the ball letting this siten go live. I guess I'll take a look at what Veritas has to offer. I wasted 1 hour trying to make things work.

Blog Entries
    I did finally get to log in on a Windows based computer, and the site works fine from there. iPad is not that great. Most of the time I use the iPad for personal web browsing, so hopefully they will get this fixed soon. I did notify them, got a quick answer that their IT is working on the known issue with iPad. They said that iPad actually works best in vertical format. I typically use horizontal, so I will try vertical. Looks like once you get in, the site is actually very nice if they can fix the issues.

My post was pretty negative.... So I should add, I am still a loyal customer. I continue to like their products and customer service.
    “Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway”
    - John Wayne (1907-1979)

Blog Entries
    I agree the LN site could be better. I imagine they'll fix it. Everything about them is high quality and I'm thinking they would want a website that's easy to navigate and make orders.

PHM