Thread: walnut other than black?

walnut other than black?

Beginner question here.
    Ive got a lot of 4/4 and 8/4 black walnut that ive used over the years, but i always assumed there was something i thought of as regular walnut, i guess. Now ive been told by my wood supplier, when i asked about some regular walnut, that there really isnt such a thing. Its all black other than some spexialty english walnut. Is this the case? I thought there is furniture out there made from walnut and its light brown in tone. Thanks.
    Martin

Black walnut is regular walnut in most places in the US.

In addition to English walnut, there exists Claro walnut from the Northwest. That's typically more prized for its appearance.

Walnut may be steamed during the drying process in order to blend sap and heartwood areas. This can result in greyer, lighter walnut after finishing. Air dried walnut, however, may have more distinct heart/sap transitions, but can appear darker and 'blacker' when finished.

Walnut can also fade over time (years) when exposed to light and air.

Some people refer to Butternut as "White Walnut."

Black Walnut has a lot of variation as far as redder or darker or even almost purple tones. Likely different strains within the species as well as different soils and temperatures etc.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Some refer to butternut as white walnut. It is a lighter brown color.

is hickory wood consider a type of walnut ?

The bits of English I've played with were almost all white (up to around 12" or so) with relatively little of the dark heartwood you think of from black walnut. Applying walnut oil and "suntanning" it gave it kind of an interesting flecked grown character that has darkened over time.

Its also worth noting that many of the walnut species will cross so sometimes its hard to know specifically what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mikits View Post
    Some refer to butternut as white walnut. It is a lighter brown color.
    I've heard of willow referred to as, "the poor man's walnut". ..But I know that's not what you're asking.

there are other varieties. in this link you will see Circassian walnut used. it is of the light tan colour of which you asked about. it does go by different names but mainly from where it originates; European covers that spectrum and then it can get narrowed down again for eg: french or english, grows in the arab nations. a lot of it has been planted in N.A., esp w/coast. Claro is a cross between Circ. and black walnut -California
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...r-dash-project
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    is hickory wood consider a type of walnut ?
    No, the characteristics are quite different. Hickory is much more similar to pecan.