Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help? dentist/detail tool

Help? dentist/detail tool

Has anyone come up with a method to attach this style high speed dentist/detail tool to a compressor? The back end is threaded I suppose to attach some sort of hose but I can't seem to find what part I need.
    I know which of the four inlets I need to use and have a plastic hose that will slip over the post but even with low pressure (25lb) the hose just won't stay on? This type is less than $50.00 on Amazon. Quite a bit different than the cost of the straight type. I don't suppose it is anywhere as good as it does require some lubrication and I don't expect the turbine to last but to learn on it might be a really good idea.
    31r0oa3-Q3L._AA160_.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

The piercing kits that Brian McEvoy over at One Good Turn sells are based on dentist tools as I recall. His kits are pricey but you might get some ideas on how his system works by looking at the pictures on his site:

http://www.onegoodturn.ca/store/inde...ory&path=65_64

Thanks Justin. I'll take a look.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Captn Eddie has a video on the you tubes explaining how to hook it up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Thanks Mike.
    Any idea what the video was called? He has so many I can't find it.
    Pete

Peter you can find what you need on Ebay.

pete: this does not help, but I bought mine from Brian, just so I didn't have to deal with this issue. I live so far off the grid and in the wilderness, they have never seen compressors :-) and the hardware store has lanterns. :-)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Thanks Mike.
    Any idea what the video was called? He has so many I can't find it.
    This is probably what you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy87r3RARfk

Bill, I have searched and searched Ebay and Amazon and can't seem to find the item. Are you suggesting that I continue to search to find the 4 part hose with the threaded connection and then remove 3 of the lines and find a way to join the other to my compressor?
    My next problem would be do you have a suggestion as to how to make a splitter or quick change that would allow me to go from my straight bit tool to the new angled one? Any ideas there?

Hey Michelle. The high speed tool that I got off Ebay cost me less than 1/10 of the cost of the oilless one I already have. Replacement turbines are about 1/5 the cost and it is my understanding that the ability to change may help me pierce longer. I have some sort of condition that for some reason cause a lot and I mean a lot of finger and arm cramps . . . I guess if you live THAT far off the grid (grin) you are lucky to not have to go and start the water wheel each morning just to power your lathe.
    Pete

wish I had a water wheel :-) use wind & solar..grey days with no wind are bummers :-)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Marty,

That video DOES cover the connection issue. Anyone have any guidance as to what kind of regulator and switch goes between the handpiece and the compressor on the cheap?
    John Altberg

Thanks Marty, I'll give Captain Eddy's idea a try.
    Pete

Hi John. In the video Capt Eddy suggests you can get what you need at Home Depot. I found it really nice to have the switch and pressure regulator right on my carving bench. I did spring for the $100.00 plus item from Tree way and it works perfectly. I did get a really nice switch and pressure regulator from Lee Valley a few years ago to operate a vacuum clamp but not sure if they still sell them.
    Pete

Pete,

Thanks. I did some poking around on the HD website and found some combo regulator/filter arrays for less than $30. Probably need to add some sort of ball valve and should work OK. I feel one of those "build-it-in-the-aisle" trips coming on!

John
    John Altberg

15. You can buy all the parts you need at Home depot, or you can go to Harbor freight and the regulator is $7 , $10 and an expensive one for $12. You just need a reducer for the small drill hose found in the plumbing section HD and then a fitting which joins that to make a quick connect to your compressor hose found in the air tool section, just a couple of dollars each.