Thread: Laser "Turns On" but does not operate

Laser "Turns On" but does not operate

Hello. My 240V Laserworld 9060 machine from China has been out of operation for too long. A couple months ago it cut out in the middle of operation, tripping the 120V shop circuit along with it when it did. After inspecting the 120-240 step up converter, the power supply etc. I finally think I figured out that the power strip I was using to operate everything from was broken. It took a long time to send in parts I thought were possibly broken (Power Supply, Transfer Board) and get them back. Now the machine will turn on (lights, Power Supply) but not operate (the control cards and motors are seemingly not getting power passed on to them, see video). I have been trying to troubleshoot this with the Chinese but things are going very very slowly.

There voltage reading going INTO the Transfer Board is, I believe, 0 and coming out it is 240. Any ideas please?

Its always a little sad when one is the first and only reply to their own thread! But, this site has been a lifesaver over and over to me as I figure out laser work. I think (which seems to mean I am about 15% likely to be correct!) that the problem I am having is that the 24 Volt power supply is bad. After deciding that was the next issue to figure out I took it off and saw that it is actually a 36V power supply. (is there a way to test these things?) I am not electrical savvy and don't even know what how the 24 (or, in this case, 36 V ) power supply is different from the main supply, but, I am interested in replacing it with a good part. It is
    36V, 13Amp, 400Watt. It is a chinese brand that I cannot identify. I want to know if I can replace it with something awesome and with what numbers. For example, do I have to replace with another 36V device, does the device have to have 13A and 400W? And does anyone know of a good brand to look for?

Greetings Dan, can't help you on the electrical end.

One reason that could be why no responses is, although Chinese lasers are becoming
    more and more main stream there just aren't the volume of users for all brands, so the pool of folks with knowledge on them is quite a bit
    smaller than Western Lasers. SMC does have a few people very knowledgeable with some of the Chinese brands and share their info freely.

Good luck getting her back running!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

If you just plan to replace the power supply you only have to take care that the voltage is the same and the output current is at least as much as the old power supply was capable of. So if you go with 13 or more Ampere you should definitely be fine. 12.45A are quite common, you might also be fine with that.
    GCC Spirit 40W
    Shenhui G350, 50W
    Experienced with servicing old and current Epilog Laser systems and older Universal Laser systems

Likely when the power supply went bad it was likely the Full Wave Rectifier and they either fail open or shorted... When they fail shorted they draw a big rush of current and that rush or increase in current likely damaged the switch.

When I was fixing power supplies at the Sony Picture tube plant and got a Shorted Rectifier the wires inside the metal electrical conduit next to my work bench supplying the 208 VAC would start to vibrate inside the pipe before popping my circuit breaker. That leads me to just ask if the Mains or the AC Voltage is protected with a circuit breaker at the power strip? Something a Electrician could do for you to make it safer.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Dan this is a good example for buying something with support in the USA. If you don't know how to use a meter and don't know how a laser is wired or operates then all the online forums can't really help. Lots of info on here and so many smart people, but #1 you need to be able to use a DVM (digital volt-ohm meter) to do some testing.

You would have saved yourself months of waiting for help via the Chinese if you would have tested your power strip and transformer first.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hello,

Have you contacted shenhui? Remember there are more than 1 power supply in the system. The laser power supply, and the motor / screen power supply. Shenhui should be able to replace that for you. Probably around $150 USD. I've done lots of communicating with china for various China CNC. Comminication can be a little slow, their should be solution. If may just be a PS swap. If you can afford it order 2, it will save you on shipping, and give you a backup.

I know a lot of people here have USA machines. Which I could afford one. But if you can't afford on or don't want to go into dept for 1. I think the china laser is still a really good option. I've been happy with both of mine. Especially if it's a hobby.

Tell me a little about your machine. Model and such and I'll see what my shenhui ps model is.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Clark all the info is in his first post. He sent a bunch of stuff back to China for testing and it turned out to be either his power strip or step up transformer both as far as I can tell have been replaced. Now he suspects the 36 volt power supply but does not know how to test. Does not appear to have a meter.

BTW he does not have a Shenhui but a Laserworld 9060 machine from China
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

My BAD. I should had read more clearly.

My bad. Should have read closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Clark all the info is in his first post. He sent a bunch of stuff back to China for testing and it turned out to be either his power strip or step up transformer both as far as I can tell have been replaced. Now he suspects the 36 volt power supply but does not know how to test. Does not appear to have a meter.

BTW he does not have a Shenhui but a Laserworld 9060 machine from China
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt