Thread: powermatic 45

powermatic 45

I just bought a powermatic 45 lathe that has sat idle for years, every thing seems to work but the variable speed seems a little hard to speed up. I've given it a couple of shots of wd40 and was wondering if there are lube points in there some where hidden.

Dwain Not sure about the grease fittings but the spindle must be turning before you change the speed handle because it has a reeves drive.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Welcome to the forum Dwain.

I would also suggest a powdered graphite or Teflon based lubricant. WD40 may work for a short time, but will quickly gum up and attract sawdust, making the situation worse in the long run.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    Welcome to the forum Dwain.

I would also suggest a powdered graphite or Teflon based lubricant. WD40 may work for a short time, but will quickly gum up and attract sawdust, making the situation worse in the long run.

Steve
    Good point, as near as I can tell there is a cam of sorts that moves a bearing as well as a couple of pivot points. no lube joints obvious so I just guessed that it was intended to get a drop of oil now and then. Surprisingly enough this area was clean, the rest was a home for squirrels. I can tell it is freeing up as every time I turn it on and move the leaver up and down it seems a little lest pressure required. I just wish I could find a manual with a "lube section".

Vintagemachinery.org will have the manual which might include a lubrication schedule. You may want to do some disassembly and cleaning/lube. How old is it? (Or what color if you are not sure.)

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Vintagemachinery.org will have the manual which might include a lubrication schedule. You may want to do some disassembly and cleaning/lube. How old is it? (Or what color if you are not sure.)

Doug
    The s/n has a 67 in front so I assume that is the date, it is painted gray but I'd guess that is a re-do as the brand plate has some on it. I'll look at that link and see if it is more than I have, Thanks!

According to the decoder ring it looks like you are right about the year: http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Pow...alNumbers.ashx

This will be of interest too: http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Reb...WoodLathe.ashx

as well as some of the posts here: http://owwm.org/search.php?keywords=powermatic+45+lathe

Good luck with it and post some pictures when you have a chance.
    Doug

I've noticed one thing missing, the indexing plate is present but the little locking mechanism is missing. any one know the uses of this ?