Thread: The inside of HF's

The inside of HF's

How do you guys finish out your HF's "INSIDE"

I Am finishing a 9" Koa HF. I gave the inside an epoxy bath which I believe will act as a moisture barrier and give it a bit more structural integrity. I used sys 3 epoxy cut w a bit of lacquer thinner to give it a thin viscosity bath. I wiped out the excess with a rag. I plan on spraying the outside with a couple of coats of SW high solids vinyl SS, followed by SW pre-cat lacquer.

Just curious what others here do?

As usual, thanks in advance!

2. I usually coat the inside of mine with shellac........pour in enough that it will coat good, pour off any excess and then let dry. I have used danish oil on the inside and out and it penetrates the wood well..........then when dry, buff a little and then if I want to use wipe on poly on the outside, I do that.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I do finish the first few inches (as far as I can reach with my fingers). I also dump in shellac, pour out the excess, and let it dry.

I dump in whatever I'm finishing the outside with, dump it out and let dry upside down. IF you let it dry right side up, there may be a pretty large pool of really thick finish on the bottom that takes days to dry. Good thing it was inside and hard to see.
    Koa is plenty strong, I don't think it needs structural integrity help unless you went WAY thin....

Sounds just right to me.

For me finishing the interior of the piece if very important others may not care but I figure if I am charging a large amount of cash for a piece it will be as good as I can make it. The interior of my pieces are fully sanded and finished. I am a little OCD about it. Probably more important to me then anyone else. For me fine details are what set pieces apart. But if you are learning play with different techniques. Now is the time to have as much fun as you can and learn as much as you can.