Thread: Wood Expansion

Wood Expansion

A lesson in wood expansion and allowing for it.
    http://www.news9.com/story/26540029/...tural-problems

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vavricka View Post
    A lesson in wood expansion and allowing for it.
    http://www.news9.com/story/26540029/...tural-problems
    Obviously they should have used breadboard ends. C'est la vie. For now, I heard they're going to flip the bridge over and let it sit in the sun for a couple of days to straighten out.

I read somewhere about a homeowner putting down solid oak floors and butting them tight wall to wall. The expansion blew out all the sill plates on the walls, interior and exterior. Wood is a feisty one...it will not be confined!!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I read somewhere about a homeowner putting down solid oak floors and butting them tight wall to wall. The expansion blew out all the sill plates on the walls, interior and exterior. Wood is a feisty one...it will not be confined!!!
    I visited a home where the homeowner had oak cleared from his land and milled for his floor. He installed it while still wet. 6 months later he was wondering why he had 1/4" gaps between the boards.

The news correspondent stated, "They're only going to fix this part of the bridge and they'll fix the other problems as they arise." I think she missed her own pun.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Obviously they should have used breadboard ends. C'est la vie. For now, I heard they're going to flip the bridge over and let it sit in the sun for a couple of days to straighten out.
    All right now, John. I'll give you a "B-" on that reply. You nailed two pigeons with that, but you could have had an "A" if you had found a way to work in either [a] grounding of PVC dust collector pipes, or [b] sawstop safety features.

Buckle down, dude. Or, given the topic, should I have said buckle up?

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

John's reply was funny but Kent's just takes the cake! It had me buckled over with laughter.

Blog Entries
    Is it just me, or does that article say practically nothing useful, and only us wood guys would understand the problem? And that pic hardly shows anything... if I didn't know what the story was about, I'd think it was just another walkway.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Oooooops!!!!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Is it just me, or does that article say practically nothing useful, and only us wood guys would understand the problem? And that pic hardly shows anything... if I didn't know what the story was about, I'd think it was just another walkway.

The video shows it a lot better. That's a lot of buckling!