Thread: latest green HF

latest green HF

It took all morning today, but I think it is going to be worth it. This is one of the largest HF's I've turned as well. The wood is elm burl.
    Jack

It is going to be spectacular...please post when finished
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

awesome........

I agree with Michelle, that piece of wood looks spectacular. Anything you make from it should be a beautiful piece of work.
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

that's a winner!

Oh yeah. Why green?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks everyone. I have it wrapped up in paper bags drying. Sure hope it survives the drying. I've had very good luck with elm in the past but never had this kind of burl in elm before. Doug, green just means that it is still wet, very wet. I got this tree from about 1/2 mile from my house. It was taken down to make room for an apartment building near Western Carolina University. There are a few other burls on the tree. I think that I will try and rough some more HF's from the this month.
    Thanks Again,
    Jack Mincey

Blog Entries
    Arguably the coolest burl I have ever seen... wish I found something like that in MY woodpile!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5