Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preemptive Tube Replacement?

Preemptive Tube Replacement?

Laser is cutting fine, but the engraving quality is degrading. Mostly the near left side (surprise to me) and the far right side. Last week though the laser did stop firing during a run, but a power off/on took care of the issue. Tube is about 3 years old running each day about 5 hours. Usual cleaning and table leveling shows no problem.

In the past I replaced the tube when it just stopped firing. I am thinking this time to be ahead of the curve and order a tube instead so I have no downtime. Comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

I'd talk with Epilog support to confirm it's a tube and not something else, maybe an amplifier? It's strange that its missing at the same spot on the X-axis.
    What happens when you engrave the whole area and not just text? Have you noticed having to kick up power or slow down speed lately? Make sure magnets
    for the lid are working. I've had issues in the past that the magnet safety switch was going bad and I stopped it from firing.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Hey Martin - Yes I talked to Epilog and they suggested the usual stuff. Clean your optics, encoder strip, table level, etc. About a month ago I had to replace the power supply (since the laser shut off after about 15 seconds) and that didn't help things with the engraving quality.

When they stepped me through the trouble shooting for the supply the interlock lights were OK. Power and speed are normal with no variations.

What do you mean about amplifier? Is it on the mother board?

Granted I have 75 watts EXTs, there are two amplifiers on mine, one behind the motherboard and one by the x-axis motor.
    You can see pictures on this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-an-Epilog-EXT
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

600 days x 5 hours is only 3000 hours , a RF tube should last WAY beyond that....
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    600 days x 5 hours is only 3000 hours , a RF tube should last WAY beyond that....
    Rodne - Not to hijack my own post, but I think I remember a post that said even if the laser/tube is idle and not turned on the tube would degrade over time.

It should not degrade significantly in 3 years... you should have gotten more useage from the tube...just saying
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I agree but had a similar experience. My UlS tube gave out in the 36th month and ULS sent a new one in warranty.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

RF tubes are often advertised as UP to 30,000 hours.

I've seen them last 10 years +, I've also seen them die in 100 hours.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Three epilog tubes dead in four years. YMMV.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Seems to me that a bad tube would misfire somewhat or mostly randomly. In this case the worst spots occur on the taller letters or other letters where there's much open space on either side of them, which isn't very random. I don't know the technical terms for it, but the higher-to-lower-to-higher power changes aren't happening correctly. My bet is this is a controller, tickle or similar issue.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Honestly even from universal I've seen tubes last 15 years and still put out more power than they were rated for. I've also seen them fail in two weeks.

I agree with you Rodney. Funny thing is that I can engrave small text 12x6mm with no problem (leaving 2" on the left and right of the sheet.) But larger engraving areas are streaked. As I mentioned for now it's cutting fine. I already turned down a job because of this. Just want to get as much life out of the tube before I spend the big money.

Another example of what's going on with my laser for those that have been following this thread. Any new comments or suggestions?

TrackExample.jpg

That looks like your mirrors need to be aligned or out of focus lens