Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Favorite Woodturning/Woodworking Quote?

This is from the last page of a Harbor Freight manual. Copyright 2000
    Warning: The warnings, cautions, and instructions discussed in thisinstruction manual cannot cover all possible conditions andsituations that may occur. It must be understood by the operatorthat common sense and caution are factors which cannot be built intothis product, but must be supplied by the operator.”
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

In my shop I always hear from a pile a blanks, " My Turn, My Turn" as I'm going to pick up a different blank.

The best one I heard was "The wood speaks to me"

i

...just one more cut ...
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I'm turning Japanese maple.
    I'm think I'm turning Japanese maple.
    I really think so.

"I have cut this board 3 times and it is still too short!"

measure twice

>"measure twice, cut once" that made famous as far as I know by Norm Abrams

This just caught my eye. I don't know when Norm made this famous, but he is a latecomer. Over 50 years ago an old craftsman was helping me build my first little chest of drawers. He told me to always remember to "measure twice, cut once. I think he must have been close to 70 at the time and said he was taught this when he was a kid, so there's 100 years right there. I wasn't surprised to find this saying was much, much older and widely repeated all over the world.

This interesting article traces this "proverb" back to 1560 as "measure seven times and cut once":
    https://idiomation.wordpress.com/201...wice-cut-once/
    Perhaps it was much older. Mortise and tenon joints have been found from 7000 years ago.

JKJ

I like the one below in my signature... Red Green... "Any tool can be the right tool"

If I remember correctly, the clip on his show showed him with a 2x4 in front of him with various types of screws started ready to be driven in. He was explaining the differences and advantages between them, slotted, phillips, square drive etc. And just when you thought he was going to pull out a drill and screw them in... he pulls out a big ole' hammer and beats them in like they were nails!! "Any tool can be the right tool"
    Now that's funny right there... I don't care who you are...
    (Larry the Cable Guy)

Any tool can be the right tool
    (Red Green)

One I heard Norm use many years ago has stuck with me. I use it on my wife all the time for justificatiion.

"There's no such thing as too many clamps"

RP

Well, I guess it's time for the most obvious as I haven't read it yet, might have missed it.

"It's wood, this stuff grows on trees" Covers when I fail, covers when I give away a success.

Another hoary old one, "When you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

One that I hung up at my business for a short time but took it down because it was too true:
    "This isn't Burger King, you get it my way or you don't get it!"

Of course when I call my suppliers it is the other way around:
    "If I wanted it tomorrow I would have ordered it tomorrow!"

When it comes to getting up in the morning:
    "The early bird gets the worm but the early worm gets eaten!" "the early bird gets the worm but who wants to eat worms?" I know a lot of sayings warning of the perils of getting up early!

"I saw a flash of light. At first I thought it was a great idea, turned out it was a major short"

"Try, try, try, then give up. No sense being a danged fool about it!"

The favorite of every auctioneer, "Think long, think wrong!"

"Never put off till tomorrow what will wait until next week" or "Never put off till tomorrow what someone else can do today."

Ending with something that is really good advice, "When in doubt, don't"

Hu

Never spray lacquer on a june bug nite.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Never spray lacquer on a june bug nite.

It was a curse back when I had a body shop. I could spend an hour going over every inch of my spray booth, every inch of the car; every time I sprayed white paint on a car one of the huge gypsy moths would flop over backwards and do a big fluttering death circle making a one to two foot ring in my paint job about an inch and a half wide. Happened six or eight white all over paint jobs in a row. I still hate gypsy moths!

Hu

"Treat every cut as if it were a finishing cut"

Saw it in a youtube video, but I can't remember which on of the hundreds I've watched.

Also some variation on "when in the shop, if you're doing something that scares you or feels wrong, STOP."

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    "Oh crap (or insert your favourite four letter word.)"

but on a more serious note

"You are the craftsman, work to the tolerances required for the project." - my father David Whaling. Dad was a stickler for a good job but only if the client was paying for the level of craftsmanship, which leads into the next one - source unknown

"We do three types of work, - good - fast - cheap; you can have any two of the three - a good job done fast, won't be cheap; a fast job done cheap, won't be good; a good cheap job, won't be fast." I first saw this in a General Carriers office Toot's Holzheimer's in fact - a Cape York legend.
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 11-21-2015 at 3:13 PM.

Never, ever take the last cut.

Blog Entries
    Heard at craft shows [ is it a burel ] no its from the trunk of the tree just a log [but is it a burel]