Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How bad is Windows 8.1?

i think windows 8- 8.1 are crap. spend half hour just trying to find anything simple. Am sure when 9 comes up if like will get the great option of giving Microsoft some money to get this crappy system off my computer.

And there you have it. Eugene doesn't mince words.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I wish Eugene would tell us how he really feels about it. He has always been a little wishy washy about his opinions!

I'm also thinking he is a good candidate for Linux..... Paul, you listening??????
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-22-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    i think windows 8- 8.1 are crap. spend half hour just trying to find anything simple. Am sure when 9 comes up if like will get the great option of giving Microsoft some money to get this crappy system off my computer.
    Or install classicshell, start8, startisback or something like that. But yeah, Larry has a good suggestion if you can make the software work. I read threads about malware, browser issues and other MS maladies and think to myself "You know - I really miss that - like I miss having a 'social disease' ".

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Or install classicshell, start8, startisback or something like that. But yeah, Larry has a good suggestion if you can make the software work. I read threads about malware, browser issues and other MS maladies and think to myself "You know - I really miss that - like I miss having a 'social disease' ".
    Yet again, the need for a "like" button surfaces!
    Oh, and you missed -paying for badly written software, constant updates that you dread, in case they break something, bloated software, and (the thing you'll miss the least) listening to Paul (me) constantly telling you to upgrade to Linux.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 09-22-2014 at 4:11 PM.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Yet again, the need for a "like" button surfaces!
    Oh, and you missed -paying for badly written software, constant updates that you dread, in case they break something, bloated software, and (the thing you'll miss the least) listening to Paul (me) constantly telling you to upgrade to Linux.
    i agree Linux is a good OS and they have made great strides lately to make it very friendly to most users. My beef with linux is that it does not run any of my programs that i use in windows. yes there may be equivalents available in linux but the these must be found and made to work. i think Windows will continue to reign supreme in the world of OS's simply becuase it is much easier to use andn there is a lot of software written for it.

One or two comments and then I'll quit. Windows is NOT easier to use than Linux. It is what people are used to. In fact, in many ways it is harder to use, because it is so hard to secure, and many simple admin tasks are very hard to do on windows. And windows 8, with its new interface obliterates that advantage. In fact, the dumbest compiputer user amongst my friends finally gave up on windows when XP support ended, and has moved to Ubuntu. He is much happier, and the biweekly phone calls for help have stopped.
    as for apps, well, every time a windows app updates or changes, people need to learn a new interface. So the whole "I need to learn a new way of using my apps" argument doesn't hold water either.
    where I will admit there is a difference is in apps like illustrator. The GiMP is harder to use, but just as powerful. And that gap is closing.
    Paul

I uninstalled Win8 the day I bought my new lap top (almost a year ago). It had no features that interested me and still doesn't.
    -Lud

Now that I’ve vented my spleen about Windows and Microsoft in general, let me point out the good points of Windows 8.

So far I’ve seen no problems with applications just crashing for no reason. I have yet to see Windows 8.0 keel over at all. Ever. It's stable.

The control panel is improved over the one in Win XP. The Task manager is vastly improved. When I’m handed one of the machines it’s because one of my daughters have gone on the ‘net and got caught up in the usual internet brambles and picker bushes. So far it’s been fairly easy to sort out the problems.

My one daughter runs the Sony Vegas video editing software on her minimally specced out laptop. More RAM would make it faster but it works, no crashes.

There haven’t been any problems with the operating system. It’s the user interface that everyone up in arms.

If you can live with the interface Windows 8 is OK.

No matter what version of windows you have, my advise is the same. Once you get the machine sorted out installing the software you want on it, updating and binning the junk software that comes with it, use a disk imaging or clone software to make a snapshot of the hard drive. Save all the work you put into it up to that point.

-Tom

Yep, now that I got rid of the Metro interface, I find Windows 8.1 to be a good, stable, fast operating system. I like it better than Windows 7.

If it didn't have the Metro interface, I think people would give it high marks.

Just a comment about phone and tablet interfaces. Both the iPhone and Android operating systems use a similar human interface. It seems to work pretty well and it's similar enough that you can move from one to the other pretty easily. I don't think the Metro interface is going to gain any traction.

And beyond that, I don't think there's room for more than two major operating systems in the smartphone and tablet market (reason: developers can't support a lot of different operating systems). And the iPhone and Android devices each have a very significant market share. It's highly unlikely that Microsoft is going to be able to break into that market and gain any significant market share. They were just too late.

And forcing the Metro interface on Windows users is not going to make them a player.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-23-2014 at 1:13 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

So just HOW bad is Windows 8? THIS bad:

http://news.yahoo.com/confirmed-wind...133033409.html

And if they think they have to give it away for people to upgrade, it sounds like they may already be thinking they've missed the mark with Windows 9 too.

IMHO.