Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How bad is Windows 8.1?

How bad is Windows 8.1?

Looking to get a new laptop. How bad is Windows 8.1? All I hear is how bad windows 8.X is.
    Hate to get a new laptop with Windows 7 as I tend to use my computers for years till the operating system is no longer supported. Like to purchase the latest if possible.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My laptop is several months old now and it has win 8.1. It works just fine for me, but I did install an app, 'Classic Shell' to give the desktop start up the look of the older versions... I don't care much for the Start menu that comes with 8.1, all those 'tiles' don't impress me.

Windows 9 is rumored to be coming out next spring.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Windows 8.1 is a good, solid operating system. I hate the "Metro" interface but 8.1 lets you bypass it. However, I installed start8 to bypass the Metro interface.

Once you get past the Metro interface, it operates a whole lot like windows 7.

One thing I really like about it is how fast it comes up, both on initial boot and from hibernation or sleep. From hibernation, it's less than 10 seconds (this is with an SSD).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If you do go with windows 8.1 get as much ram as you can. I have 4 gigs and on windows 8.1 I only had .87 available but went back to windows 7 now I have 3.5 available

If you have any software you NEED to run, be sure to check if it runs on Windows 8. I have very important software here that doesn't play nice with 8, yet.

Windows 7 is supposed to receive security updates 'til January 2020.

Blog Entries
    I've been using it with no problems. I still like 7 better but that's what I became used to for a few years. I'm liking 8 a little more each day. Get lot's of memory. 12 gig on mine. Make sure it's touch screen.

Blog Entries
    Windows 8.1 has it's critics for sure. At first, I too really didn't like the new "Metro" tile interface, and getting to the familiar desktop was a real pain. Then I found a small, cheap ($3.00) utility that brought back the traditional Windows 7 style start button/menu called Startisback (There are several others that do the same thing, but they all work well). This changed everything for me. I went from a true Windows 8 hater to a lover in about 5 minutes.
    But, as with any new operating system, some software may have problems running, but if it is software that is currently being maintained by the developer, it WILL be made to work well with Win8.1 or they will be out of business shortly.
    Also, the rumor is that Windows 9 (or whatever MS will call it) will be a free or very cheap upgrade to Win8.1 and that MS will be changing their upgrade model so that future upgrades will be more frequent and free.

Bottom line: Don't be afraid of Windows 8.1, it is the path to the future for Windows.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-17-2014 at 9:16 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Get lot's of memory. 12 gig on mine. Make sure it's touch screen.
    Everyone has their opinion, and here is mine.
    I sort of agree with the lot's of memory thing, but 12gig is a bit excessive for the average user. 8gig is a more realistic, and 4 will work for most users.

I really disagree with the touch screen thing.
    Touch screens should be reserved for tablet computers only. Laptops and especially desktops with touch screen are more of a hindrance than a help. It is an added expense that will most likely not be used after the new wears off.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-17-2014 at 9:24 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

11. Most people only complain about 8 because of Metro. It is a solid os (as far as windows goes.) I use start8. I shut off all of the charms and other win8 features and my laptop looks and acts like win7 with all of the improvements under the hood of 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Everyone has their opinion, and here is mine.
    I sort of agree with the lot's of memory thing, but 12gig is a bit excessive for the average user. 8gig is a more realistic, and 4 will work for most users.

I really disagree with the touch screen thing.
    Touch screens should be reserved for tablet computers only. Laptops and especially desktops with touch screen are more of a hindrance than a help. It is an added expense that will most likely not be used after the new wears off.
    Im just the opposite but perhaps thats because I do a lot of work on smart phones and tablets. The touch screen for me on the laptop is a phenomenal addition. I think the conclusion I am coming to is that your either a user who mentally flips a switch when your on a PC that its one thing, and when your on a touch device its another thing or your the person who can, and wants, to bounce back and forth as the need arises.

One is not better than another but they are different. I for instance find myself bouncing back and forth a lot between touch interface and keyboard/mouse on my laptop but it depends completely on what I am doing. Im having to re-train myself a bit but I just tend to toggle back and forth a lot. For instance having the touch on the laptop and Im browsing a web page and I want to look at something a little more closely or the text is a little small, I just reach up and pinch open and zoom. I tend to use the touch a lot with social apps on the laptop. But then of course in word, excel, sketchup, Im nearly all keyboard and mouse. The times when I go to touch are endless.

I just think its a logical next step evolution in the user interface. The hardest thing to get use to is the smudges.

Blog Entries
    Here is my main problem with touch screen and my desktop PC. I have a rather large monitor 26", a full size keyboard, and a nice full function mouse. The monitor sits about 24 - 26 inches away from the keyboard and mouse at about eye level. I sit in a nice comfortable office chair where I can lean back a bit while I type and navigate with the mouse. If I had a touch screen monitor I would have to lean forward to reach the monitor and then return to my keying position. I would be constantly repeating this until one day I would realize that I had wasted a whole lot of time and effort accomplishing something I could easily do much faster if I didn't use the touch screen. You have the same situation while using a laptop but to a slightly lesser extent, but if you attach an external keyboard and mouse to it like most people do at home, you are back to the same issue as the desktop. A tablet on the other hand, is normally hand held so your hands are already close to the screen and it is much more natural to control the computer with a touch screen.
    A touch screen adds a couple hundred dollars to the price of a laptop, and really brings no added value that I can see. I just know that I would have severe buyers remorse if I spent the extra dollars for something I wouldn't use much at all.

Of course you may feel differently about it and that's fine, It's your money.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-17-2014 at 3:47 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Here is my main problem with touch screen and my desktop PC. I have a rather large monitor 26", a full size keyboard, and a nice full function mouse. The monitor sits about 24 - 26 inches away from the keyboard and mouse at about eye level. I sit in a nice comfortable office chair where I can lean back a bit while I type and navigate with the mouse. If I had a touch screen monitor I would have to lean forward to reach the monitor and then return to my keying position. I would be constantly repeating this until one day I would realize that I had wasted a whole lot of time and effort accomplishing something I could easily do much faster if I didn't use the touch screen. You have the same situation while using a laptop but to a slightly lesser extent. A tablet on the other hand, is normally hand held so your hands are already close to the screen and it is much more natural to control the computer with a touch screen.
    I agree with you completely Larry. When I was writing my reply I was envisioning the day when touch is no longer touch and you simply raise your hand and use gestures (likely not far away given the video game industry). I am in a bit of a unique situation with my new laptop as it has a bit of a unique design with the touchpad behind the keyboard (which I never use) and the screen is able to be moved to right at the back edge of the keypad. This makes touch a little more usable but you still have to lean forward as you say.

I am in the same boat though. Comfy chair, lean back, multi-function mouse. And a gain, I am on a laptop. So yes for sure, a large desktop display, 24" away from your face, touch is useless.

I will bet we will see a gesture driven device in the next couple years if there isnt one out there already.

I guess at that point the question will become is computing heading towards a static/sedentary UI (just move your fingers, eyeballs) i.e. Stephen Hawking/Wall-e or is it going to be gesture based like what you see in the movies with someone standing in front of a holographic projection and interacting with it. Bring on the techies! LOL.

Windows 8.1 is usable. And MS is likely announcing Windows 9 in October...it purportedly brings back the "old" Start Menu and is less focused on the "tiles" and full screen apps than v8...a more "traditional" UI.

As to Win7...it will be supported for a long time. It's now the corporate standard, having just replaced XP for the majority of business organizations out there. Adoption of Win8 in that environment has been small. That bodes well for folks who are more comfortable with Win7 currently than they are with v8.x. (Personally, I'm sticking with Win7 for those few things I need to use Windows for, both personally and for work. Otherwise, I moved to MacOS a few years ago...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...